Levelling across interior wall, am I missing anything?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I just wanted to check with people more experienced than I that I've not missed anything major with this job of levelling out this wall.

Myself and my partner are due to complete on this house soon and in the master bedroom, there is a jut where built-in wardrobes used to be previously. This ends up making the bathroom smaller and a weird shape, likewise a bit of useless space in the bedroom.

We want to level the wall out so the bathroom is larger, I've knocked on the wall on previous visits and it sounds hollow so it's not a supporting wall but is this easy enough to do and look good?

My initial thought is to knock it through and build a stud wall and plasterboard either side but I want it to look perfectly level and straight across. If it's too hard for DIY what sort of tradesman would I go to for something like this? I do know both rooms will need plastering after as well which I'm not even going to attempt myself.

I've attached images below:

dpQonHy.png

3rrUp0j.png

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I've knocked on the wall on previous visits and it sounds hollow so it's not a supporting wall but is this easy enough to do and look good?
Actually, there are such things as structural stud walls - which also sound hollow..

The give always with them are that the sole plate and the header plate are normally doubled up. The other potential clue is that the ceiling joists will be running at right angles to the wall. What is upstairs?

On fact you will probably be all right, but check what is above the wall before starting ' after all someone may have used the wall to support joist ends

To set outside straight edge a piece of string, some nails or screws and a couple of identical blocks (10mm packers will do) will suffice. The job of studding out isn't hard, either - if we can teach 1st year apprentice carpenters to do it (there's a clue as to trade), then anyone can do it - it just requires a few tools and a bit of patience (as do I with the sprogs)

Thank you for the reply.

Actually, there are such things as structural stud walls - which also sound hollow..

The give always with them are that the sole plate and the header plate are normally doubled up. The other potential clue is that the ceiling joists will be running at right angles to the wall. What is upstairs?

I did not know that, so thank you very much for that. This is upstairs so the only thing above it is the loft space. I'm assuming that's where I'd be able to see which direction the ceiling joists are running? Sorry for the basic questions, I've only ever lived in rental properties so my DIY skills in regards to these things are non-existent

Sponsored Links
Yes. Main thing to check is that the joists don't end on top of the wall. It probably isn't structural, but there are always exceptions which is why you need to check

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back