Lever grease gun - cleaning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've got a lever action grease gun, was my Dad's, it just lay around the garage for a couple of decades. Now I need to use it, but I want to get the old grease - obviously very old grease - out of it before putting new grease in. Any suggests cleaning substances / methods please? Tia, Terry

Sponsored Links
Dismantle as far as you can and wipe out as much of the old grease as possible. Re-assemble, fill with new grease and pump until the old grease is expelled from the tube/nozzle and new grease appears. That should be sufficient.

Yes, you want plenty of clean rag / blue paper / etc. and a pair of disposable gloves. if you use any solvent you stand a chance of contaminating the grease. Keep the gun wiped clean when you're using it, and wipe the nipples off before attaching the gun. If you are greasing something like a plain bush with no seals then pump it through until clean grease comes out the other end(s) of the bushes. Wipe any excess off.

Nowt better than a greasy nipple :eek:
Mine's a Wanner (spelling correct) and when you open it's air bleed, it's guaranteed to get you in the eye.
Hardly use it anyway, these days.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Which reminds me. . .(No not that! :))
Must do the kingpins on the ride on mower!

Yes this is a Wanner. I had a clear out prior to a recent house move and was going to chuck it till I saw they cost about £70. so I kept it which is just as well as I now need it. Thanks to all for your replies I'll clean it as advised - terry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back