Leylandi hedge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a leylandi hedge at the bottom of our garden. We do not allow it to grow too high and keep it between 4 – 6 feet tall, where it remains an attractive feature. The problem is – when is the best time to cut it back? Sometimes we have brown, dead looking areas after cutting, while other times the hedge remains green after cutting back. A hedge trimmer is used on every occasion, so where are we going wrong?

Sponsored Links
Its a feature of many conifers
only takes wrong weather etc and you get this
At least you do not allow it to get tall and cause problems for the neighbours but i bet nothing grows anywhere near it including grass and theres moss a plenty

You have to catch it outside of its growing time, so I've been told. The best times are February and November.

I know the time of year is wrong, but I couldn't stand it any longer yesterday - I took the hedge trimmer to it. It looks green today and much smarter - I shall keep you informed IF it turns brown.

Sponsored Links
2 months ago I bought 3 huge terracotta pots (60 inch rim/ 14 inch tall)and planted 4 ft Leylandi in them. The leaves are starting to go yellow. Are they dying? How do I care for them? Or prevent them from dying?

I usually cut min twice a year, once in May and again in September. This produces a nice dense hedge.

bet theirs wants trimming again, the post you repied to is nearly 2 years old

Oh yes!

half asleep tonight, its been a long day. I thought I was in the 'posts since last visit' section, I had somehow gone into the gardening section after my initial post.

I did wonder why there were so many gardening posts tonight:cool:

should'nt that be fence posts? ...........garden, posts, oh well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back