Life is created in a lab for the first time

Sponsored Links
it was inevitable. It is also inevitable that true machine sentience will be created, probably withing 50 years.

I also think the above two are the two biggest threats to mankind - either we'll create a virus so lethal it wipes out mankind/primates/vertebrates on earth in days/weeks, or we create a sentient machine with a far superior AI to us that decides were vermin and sets about wiping us out - dont laugh, it might be sci-fi but sci-fi has a habit of coming true.

The door is open, so wait for Nuke to come walking in ;)

Sponsored Links
Surely anything humans do is just human nature... it's how we've evolved. it's not a concious decision to abuse our position and 'play god'. We're designed to educate ourselves, learn, evolve and push boundaries...

for example it's a bit like an episode of Corrie, where the cast decide to make a soap opera about a street in the north of England.... why shouldn't they?

Surely anything humans do is just human nature... it's how we've evolved. it's not a concious decision to abuse our position and 'play god'. We're designed to educate ourselves, learn, evolve and push boundaries...

yes but evolution isn't a plan. Its not destined to succeed, its just a means of survival. Humans have "over-evolved" you could argue beyond what is required for basic survival. Some creatures evolve too slowly or not at all and die off.
If it was a perfect system you would probably believe that it was some kind of plan......and you know what that leads too!

yes but evolution isn't a plan. Its not destined to succeed, its just a means of survival. Humans have "over-evolved" you could argue beyond what is required for basic survival. Some creatures evolve too slowly or not at all and die off.
If it was a perfect system you would probably believe that it was some kind of plan......and you know what that leads too!

i don't think i mentioned or intimated the word 'plan' did i?
i agree with the idea of survival... but i think humans are the first animals to have secured the principle of survival, so much so, that we've moved on to reparation (e.g. nhs!)... and then biological sciences which now are creating life... it is just nature.... not god (small 'g' intended).

i agree with the idea of survival... but i think humans are the first animals to have secured the principle of survival, so much so, that we've moved on to reparation (e.g. nhs!)... and then biological sciences which now are creating life... it is just nature.... not god (small 'g' intended).

no you didn't but it sounded as if you were suggesting that it was all destined to happen and was therfore ok. If I misinterpreted I apologise.
we do have this problem as humans that we thing we are infallible, and certain humans gifted with amazing brains seem to think that everything they do is ok because no one else can do it! Scientists don't always work in the interests of the human race, and one day I believe scientist(s) could compromise our existence.
One of the key qualities in being called a god is being able to create life, so in that definition its "playing god". If there was a real god then I guess we could compare :D never mind.

no you didn't but it sounded as if you were suggesting that it was all destined to happen and was therfore ok. If I misinterpreted I apologise.
we do have this problem as humans that we thing we are infallible, and certain humans gifted with amazing brains seem to think that everything they do is ok because no one else can do it! Scientists don't always work in the interests of the human race, and one day I believe scientist(s) could compromise our existence.
One of the key qualities in being called a god is being able to create life, so in that definition its "playing god". If there was a real god then I guess we could compare :D never mind.

we're probably arguing the same idea here... although i think it's not not in the remit of any species to do what's best for the species, but only what's best for the individual... the problem is that humans think they're halfway between nature and god.... we're not, we're the next step up from the rest of nature, yet a million miles away from any god... !!

Does all of this not just beg the question of what is a working definition of "life"?

Not at all. Life is that which possesses some or all of the following characteristics:

Homeostasis: Regulation of the internal environment to maintain a constant state
Organization: Being structurally composed of one or more cells, which are the basic units of life.
Metabolism: Transformation of energy by converting chemicals and energy into cellular components (anabolism) and decomposing organic matter (catabolism).
Growth: Maintenance of a higher rate of anabolism than catabolism. A growing organism increases in size in all of its parts, rather than simply accumulating matter.
Adaptation: The ability to change over a period of time in response to the environment.
Response to stimuli: A response can take many forms, from the contraction of a unicellular organism to external chemicals, to complex reactions involving all the senses of multicellular organisms. A response is often expressed by motion, for example, the leaves of a plant turning toward the sun (phototropism) and by chemotaxis.
Reproduction: The ability to create the next generation.

Does all of this not just beg the question of what is a working definition of "life"?

Not at all. Life is that which possesses some or all of the following characteristics:

Homeostasis: Regulation of the internal environment to maintain a constant state
Organization: Being structurally composed of one or more cells, which are the basic units of life.
Metabolism: Transformation of energy by converting chemicals and energy into cellular components (anabolism) and decomposing organic matter (catabolism).
Growth: Maintenance of a higher rate of anabolism than catabolism. A growing organism increases in size in all of its parts, rather than simply accumulating matter.
Adaptation: The ability to change over a period of time in response to the environment.
Response to stimuli: A response can take many forms, from the contraction of a unicellular organism to external chemicals, to complex reactions involving all the senses of multicellular organisms. A response is often expressed by motion, for example, the leaves of a plant turning toward the sun (phototropism) and by chemotaxis.
In which case, are these scientists claiming to have "built" something which has these characteristics?

Synthia possesses Homeostasis, Organisation, Growth, Response to stimuli and Reproduction.

Why do you do this?

Sponsored Links
Back