Life options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking about taking on a new job - quantity surveyor trainee job in London.

The other side of the coin is going to New Zealand and looking for work there - I've applied for a work visa and been accepted, just have to find work out there.

My passive income from rental is modest enough but money is becoming tight and frankly I fancy full time work now I've travelled a bit.

Having been to Slovakia/Vienna/hiked various places in the UK this year, travel is something I want to do more of, and I'm not sure I want to settle down yet.

Thinking about weighing up my options, I'm not restricted to the UK, no kids and no bird. Friends are always going to be friends no matter the time apart.

However, I also fancy the idea of getting established in the UK in a good firm, and I think I've found just the one.

How would you play it at 30 years old ?

Sponsored Links
London is a treadmill. Sounds like it would take a bit of getting used to, you being a free spirit and all.

I'd done all I needed to do by the time I was 30 and needed some stability - hence... wife...house...family.

Hit the city hard for 20 years then retire.(y) If you don't crack up first that is.

Looking at you're history, I'd be inclined to say have a go in New Zealand for a year. You'll either make a go of it out there, or come back and be only 31, and able to look at the trainee job (or similar) again.

London's becoming a rat race, and we're going to be going through a lot of upheavals in the next 5- 10 years, so it might not be the best place to be.

You like travelling, and want to do more of it, but if you get in to a QS job, you're either going to get stuck in a rut, or end up chucking it in before you qualify and so wasting the time you've put in.

You've admitted that you're not ready to settle down yet, so you need to weigh up which is more important to you; the travelling, or the settled job, or at the end of it, a more peaceful settled life in New Zealand.

Sponsored Links
I've three friends who all moved to NZ in their 30's, all never came back. They absolutely love it - good jobs, beautiful country and all are settled and very happy.
London is great but to really enjoy it I think a lot of money is needed. High rents, congestion charge, expensive to eat out - even the parking meters are close to being paid minimum wage!

Feedback appreciated lads. Now to decide whether to make a tester trip first beforehand or just book a one way flight.

Sponsored Links
Back