lifemax standard reading lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,i have a lifemax daylight reading lamp and when the bulb blew the replacement bulb would not work,i checked and there is live feed to the bulb holder,but on the other side of the bulb holder there is a resistor or capacitor of some sort (a picture is attached)and think this my have blown
can anyone tell me what it is and where i could get a replacement :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Hi,i have a lifemax daylight reading lamp
No you don't.

You have a "lifemax" reading light fixture, fitted with a daylight colour lamp/tube. Other colour of lamp/tube are available at the same price.

If you paid over the odds for a "daylight reading lamp" you've been conned, just like 1000's of others who think they need a special fixture to get daylight-colour light. And don't get me started on SAD lights!

Hi,i have a lifemax daylight reading lamp and when the bulb blew the replacement bulb would not work,i checked and there is live feed to the bulb holder,but on the other side of the bulb holder there is a resistor or capacitor of some sort (a picture is attached)and think this my have blown
can anyone tell me what it is and where i could get a replacement :rolleyes:

Doubt if that has blown and anyway that would not cause it not to work. It is for radio interference suppression. You need to look elsewhere for the fault.

Sponsored Links
I have a similar problem. "Bulb" blew. The replacement works fine in another lamp but in the original just glows faintly (sometimes) and flickers a little.

Do these things have 'starters' hidden somewhere, as with fluorescent tubes?

Dunno. Probably a high frequency ballast that's failed. Chuck the light in the bin and buy a new one.

starters and chokes are rare in lamps that small nowadays.
As rf says its more likely a H/F ballast, though its likely sealed in the base and inaccesssable.
If it was accesible and you could get the part then it may be an easy task to replace.

I recently had a high frequency ballast fail in a cheap fluorescent fitting. The main cause was a short circuit capacitor 6800pF at 1000V connected across the lamp filaments. This also took out two transistors type 13003 and four associated resistors 2 at 18 ohms, and 2 at 1.5 ohms. Now all fixed and working again. 13003 transistors can be difficult to find, but a good source is old CFL lamps. Typical circuits of ballasts and lamps here:

http://www.pavouk.org/hw/lamp/en_index.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back