Lifting T&G floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any top tips for lifting some rather firm T&G softwood flooring. I presume there must be a way of removing the tongue from one board, just want to know best way with limited damage as the floor is be sanded and varnished afterwards!

I want to move a radiator from a chimney breast to under the bat window.

Any hints greatly appreciated

Thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
Find out how thick the floorboards are, beg borrow or steal a circular saw. Set the depth of cut on the saw to the depth of the T&G, cut away the tounge. Note, when cutting across the floorboards, cut close to the nails, as this is where the joists are. Be careful though, try not to hit the nails, I would say turn the power off, but then your saw probably won't work !, hope you don't hit any pipes. Good luck.

OK.. I have the circular saw and I can see the depth of the boards where I have lifted the carpet in the hallway.. I'm thinking the new T&G boards are on top of old boards... I'll soon find out.

How do I go about getting round the gap that the thickness of the blade will create when I put the boards back down?

Someone mentioned u can get a hand saw made for the job, is this a waste of time?

Thanks

If you can get, use some of the saw dust that is created, mix into a papier mache mix, and press into the cut. Also try to use a fine circular saw blade to minimise the gap. You can use a floorboard saw if you've the time and the patience! With care, the circular saw method should work fine. Of course its going to look worse before it looks better. Careful with the saw though, mind the pinkies (and nails!)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice... i think lifting the boards should be the easy part!

Its the relocating the rad and rerouting the pipes that worries me the most... never done it before.

Anyone got any advice on that, although I will post in the plumbing section :confused:

You can punch the nails in with a thin nail punch on the end board nearest to the skirting board and sometime you maybe able to slide the T&G board under the skirting board to lift out then crowbar on the next one about 1" then bang the T&G board down again which normally leave the nail head sticking out to remove by claw hammer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back