United Kingdom
Bye, bye
LAGLS40BCCL.JPG

:eek:

EEC directive comes in 1st Sept 09

Sponsored Links
All wattages ?

To make or sell ?

I stocked up on high wattages ones a couple of years ago.
I guess I need to do low wattage too now

From September, all wattages of frosted/pearl lamps are gone, including the standard shape GLS, candles and golfball shapes.
The clear ones are going between now and September 2012 starting with the higher wattages.

These are now available as replacements:
LAHGLS60BCCL.JPG

which are halogen capsules inside a GLS type enclosure.

Others which are going or gone are all frosted halogen capsule lamps and many other halogen lamps which don't meet certain efficiency requirements. (must be energy efficiency rating C or above).

The restriction applies to 'bringing new lamps into the market' which effectively means you can't manufacture or import them into the EU. Exisitng stocks already in the EU can be sold, but once gone, that's it.
There won't be much left, as many major retailers have already stopped selling them.

Sponsored Links
LAHGLS60BCCL.JPG

Has anybody seen one of these going? I haven't, but in my experience, 230v halogen lighting tends to have an extremely poor light output in comparison to GLS. This seems especially true when it comes to halogen reflector lamps - my bedroom is fitted with 5x 50w GU10 230v downlights, and it's still only as bright as a 100w GLS would have been. I will get round to replacing with LEDs, when I find some decent ones that'll work with a dimmer.

LAHGLS60BCCL.JPG

Why do they not allow that with a frosted finish? Banning frosting makes no sense to me. No matter, I'm sure there will be no shortage of bulbs on ebay.

I personally have used energy efficient bulbs almost exclusively for years and years but this seems to be a very stupid way of forcing the general public into getting them. I think banning halogens would have saved more power!! it's not uncommon for people to replace a single 100W bulb when they modernise the kitchen with 4/6/8 50W halogens! Making the total usage 200/300/400W!! I've just put spots in my kitchen and simple cannot find a decent LED lighting solution yet for halogen sockets so I've had to settle for 35W bulbs. Which are a little too "warm" coloured I think.

Presumably that means I'll need to stock up with plenty of bulbs to continue to use this:

Sunrise System

The manual states:
* Use ONLY regular tungsten light/lamp bulbs in the lamp connected to the Sunrise System.
* Do NOT use power saving bulbs or non standard bulbs in the lamp when connected to the Sunrise System 100.
* Do NOT use with a dimming lamp.

I assume the reason for this is that it uses a thyristor/triac drive to vary the bulb brightness.

The silly thing is it is used for no more than half an hour a day with a 40W bulb. All bulbs in our house that take any significant power and are used for more than a few minutes a day, such as the 5 spots in the kitchen, have been replaced with energy efficient ones.

The more regulations you have, the less common-sense people use... :(

That sunrise system - didn't look into it, but SAD is meant to be cured using full spectrum fluorescent tubes, not some dimming system, because filament lamps veer to the yellow end of the spectrum, whereas daylight is more blue. You've been had mate.

That sunrise system - didn't look into it, but SAD is meant to be cured using full spectrum fluorescent tubes, not some dimming system, because filament lamps veer to the yellow end of the spectrum, whereas daylight is more blue. You've been had mate.

I don't recall saying that I suffered from Seasonal Affected Disorder - I just like the slowly increasing brightness of the lamp combined with the increasingly loud alarm to wake me up in the morning. Also, the gradual dimming at night and the bedside dimmer switch is quite useful.

I don't recall saying that I suffered from Seasonal Affected Disorder - I just like the slowly increasing brightness of the lamp combined with the increasingly loud alarm to wake me up in the morning. Also, the gradual dimming at night and the bedside dimmer switch is quite useful.
Fair enough. Sounds like a truly hideous product though (I like to open curtains to let light in and birdsong drives me wappy, in summer I close the window around 4:30am when they start so i can get back to sleep!), and IMO shouldn't be marketed as a cure for SAD. :cool:

Fair enough. Sounds like a truly hideous product though (I like to open curtains to let light in and birdsong drives me wappy, in summer I close the window around 4:30am when they start so i can get back to sleep!), and IMO shouldn't be marketed as a cure for SAD. :cool:

So you get up to open the curtains to give you light to wake up and then close the window to shut-out the bird-song so you can get back to sleep. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back