Light fitting fell down from ceiling

Looks like a cracking house.

As said, I looks like very old cable, likely no strain relief, and it's all decided its too much. Probably touching the two cables together as it fell. Also appears to have no earth. Make sure the wires are not touching each other, protect them with some tape, and turn the power back on and wait for electrican.

Personally on replacement I would want to avoid fitting a model ceiling rose to the plaster moulding at all, rather run the new flex cable straight through it into the underfloor void and connect up there with suitable strain relief. Floor above will likely need lifting to connect to the old cable anyway.

You may also find the electrican hesitate to connect the old fitting back up without and earth if it's metal. He might also suggest a whole house re-wire, but that's maybe another topic!

Daniel

Sponsored Links
I can't see the lamp/shade/chandelier/whatever it is, so can't guess the weight, but I expect that there was nothing to take the weight except the terminal screws holding the wire cores, which have eventually given way.
Looks like a fairly standard pendant fitting, plastic moulded which could be replaced with new, modern types have a bit to hook the wires round but an amount of the load will still be on the terminal and I assume they have always been like that, but obviously even then you can install without using the hook sections.

Hard to estimate the weight as you say, but looks like a metal/steel frame with glass hung off (looks like it is glass too, not plastic) which is very nice but could well be heavier than a lot of shades if a long way off a 5kg chandelier.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back