LIGHT NOT WORKING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi hope someone can help, I have changed a ceiling rose to a 2 spotlight metal fitting and now it is not working and neither is the bedroom next door. Obviously I have wired it incorrectly, as I did not note down the wiring connection prior to installation (I know how very stupid!!) There are 3 wires evident 1 contains red and earth, then there are 2 which each have black wire only. The light fitting has choc block connectors earth live and neutral are connected and there is one block with no connection.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
no it doesn't and the bedroom light in the next room does not work now either (when it was connected)

just to confirm exactly what you've got,
the cable with the red and green+yellow;-
1) is the green+yellow sleeving covering a bare wire, or a black wire?
2) does this cable have a wire that's been cut off?
3) was the green+yellow sleeving present originally?

odd questions, but your wiring is unusual.

a picture of inside the switch may be useful.
and of wiring inside the other lights before and after the one you are working on would be helpful; if it's easy to do.

Hi previous owner off house was an electrician!!

in answer to your questions

A) it is a bare wire
B) no
C) yes

thanks for your time

sparkwright
I will take pictures in a moment just need to pop out for a while with son i will post them later thanks for your help with this

have you been working on other lights on this circuit? if so the fault could lie elsewhere.

A picture of the back of the switch and the wiring there would be helpful, just to rule out a possibility.

HI thanks for your help so far here are picture of the switch in the affected room and the ceiling light in the other room affected, which I have not touched - picture quality not as good due to light. Hope you can help.

The ceiling light has red and yellow brown from one wire and one black one, no evidence of other wires or cut ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back