Light pendant with 3 clear cables, how to identify?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I have a pendant light fitting with a clear cable between ceiling rose and light, a rat chewed through the cable in the loft space (since moved!) meaning I lost which cable goes where in the connector block. Upon stripping the wires I've found that all three have clear sleeves and no colour co-ordination other than one wire has a very thin white string, one has a very thing green string (presume earth) and one has nothing. If the white one was blue I would imagine it is live, but I haven't come across a white one like this before and don't want to mix-up live and neutral! Has anyone come across this before? The pendant is a 2350CP model from Firstlight Productions Ltd. Have asked them but no response. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3583.jpg
    IMG_3583.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 284
Sponsored Links
one wire has a very thin white string, one has a very thing green string (presume earth) and one has nothing. If the white one was blue I would imagine it is live,

You must not presume with electrics. A mistake could be lethal.

If the white one was blue I would imagine it is live,

Why? Blue is neutral. White is neutral in the US.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. I had looked at other threads but hadn't seen that one.

I had seen on other forums that mention similar fixtures with these clear cables that a thin blue line running through one of them shows the live.

I'll chase the supplier and pickup a multimeter to test it.

Appreciate everyone's time in replying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back