light problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, iam trying to fit a light in my living room, why is their three lots of cables? i have wired it up all three red to brown all black to blue and earths to the light base the trip goes off straight away when pressed? can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
and see breezer's signature :rolleyes: if only people saw that BEFORE undertaking DIY electrics, we would have half as many posts on here!

cragger said:
hi, iam trying to fit a light in my living room, why is their three lots of cables?

because that is what is required for the circuit to function correctly

cragger said:
i have wired it up all three red to brown all black to blue and earths to the light base

why have you wired it like this?

cragger said:
the trip goes off straight away when pressed? can anyone help?

basic electrical theory will tell you that if you join a live to a neutral, you are creating a dead short. Now, consider the protective device, when the trip detects a dead short, it will trip out. Otherwise what is the point of having safety devices installed in your house?

Sponsored Links
cragger - what you haven't realised is that one of the cables connects to the light switch. By connecting the switch 'red' to live and the switch 'black' to neutral you have shorted out that circuit, hence it trips.

Disconnect all the wires again, then, with the switch in the 'on' position, measure the resistance between each red/black (or brown/blue) pair until you find the closed circuit. Then refer to this topic for a wiring diagram.

The others - was it really so hard to give the guy a clue?

ban-all-sheds said:
breezer did - look in the For Reference section, he said...
Indeed he did. He also pointed out that the poor guy wired it wrong, which I daresay he'd already worked out for himself.

Of course he could have looked in the 'For reference' topic first, but people come here for support, not just data, and all he saw was the equivalent of a post office styled with a big arrow pointing somewhere else.

the problem is theres a fine line between supporting and spoonfeeding. Also we have to be a little carefull about encouraging people who have no clue about electricity (not even stuff you get in high school science classes like the fact that electricity flows in loops and switches break the loop).

IMO its a very bad idea to take a "painting by numbers" approach to electricity, if you don't understand why you'r doing things the way you are doing them then you probablly shouldn't be doing them.

IMHO, if the guy had received no help here, then he would have (a) asked someone down the pub, or (b) gone ahead and tried every permutation of wiring until he found the right one.

Instead of support he received an obfuscated pointer to the diagramatic reference section, and no offer of explanation of what he'd done wrong. How do you reconcile this with the care that you're advocating, and, I presume, that you believe I omitted?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back