Light switch earthing

Attachments

• IMG_1209.jpeg
    IMG_1209.jpeg
    389.4 KB · Views: 22
Sponsored Links
I`m afraid I disagee there John, ...It can happen that the switch retaining screw can become live, resulting in a tingle or even a shock of some magniude.
I don't think we're really disagreeing -as I said,people doget struck by lightning,and some have probably been hit by meteorites. We're talking about probabilities -and it remains my belief that to get an appreciable shock by the process you describe is incredibly improbable. For that to happen, at least four things have to happen simultaneously:

1....The backbox has to become live. Although it happens, that, in itself, is extremely rare, and not something that I recall personally ever having encountered.

2...One has to touch the faceplate screw. The heads of such screw on plastic accessories are usually significantly recessed,such as one has to make a fairly determined effort to "push one's finger into it" before there is any contact.

3... There has to be something earthed close enough to the accessory to be simultaneously touchable. Looking around my house,that is true of only a very small proportion of the plastic accessories.

4.... IF there is something earthed close enough to be touched simultaneous with the screw, one actually has to touch the screw head - which one would not normally do during normal use of thee accessory.

I would say that each of those probabilities was extremely small, so that when one multiplies them together, I wouldn't expect one to be too far from the "struck by lightning" scenario.

Kind Regards, John

It it can happen then it will > Murphy`s Law (a.k.a Sod`s Law).
A few million tries on a regular basis and yes it will happen now and then.
Each one of us got born with improbable statistics

That last photo you have shown in response 26 is a real and serious concern. 2 live wires (switched or otherwise) have been 'joined' together, covered in tape and then one of them inserted into the switch. There is visual evidence of some other wire being wrapped in tape. There also appears to be a small loop of bare copper appearing at the bottom of the photograph. Whoever did that wiring could not be called a competent or responsible 'electrician'

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It it can happen then it will > Murphy`s Law (a.k.a Sod`s Law). .... A few million tries on a regular basis and yes it will happen now and then.
Indeed so - just as with lightning and meteorites ;)

.... but even more so with driving cars, crossing roads, using ladders, power tools or kitchen equipment (etc. etc.), or even going up/down stairs or getting out of bed!

... and if anyone who smokes, drinks substantial amounts of alcohol or who participates in 'hazardous sports' (etc. etc.) is concerned about the faceplate screws of plastic accessories, I think I'll just laugh ;)

Kind Regards, John

Am I missing something or are these instructions not including earthing back box for sockets?

In short..

Sockets (3 pin) must have an Earth/CPC/green-yellow to the "faceplate" because one of the 3 terminals is an earth and absolutely must be connected.

Metal Back-boxes should also be earthed.
If it's a plastic switch then the earth goes to the back-box.
If it's a metal switch then earth goes to either the faceplate or the back-box with a link between.
If it's a socket then a link from the earth terminal to the back-box.

In short..

Sockets (3 pin) must have an Earth/CPC/green-yellow to the "faceplate" because one of the 3 terminals is an earth and absolutely must be connected.

Metal Back-boxes should also be earthed.
If it's a plastic switch then the earth goes to the back-box.
If it's a metal switch then earth goes to either the faceplate or the back-box with a link between.
If it's a socket then a link from the earth terminal to the back-box.

Thanks very much. Local electrician tells me metal box doesn’t need earthing if the plate is plastic.

Thanks very much. Local electrician tells me metal box doesn’t need earthing if the plate is plastic.
He's applying what many might call 'common sense' - but, as you will have seen here, some people will argue that, even if the plate is plastic, the faceplate screws will usually be metal, and therefore theoretically present a risk of electric shock, but only in the event of a (I would say incredibly improbable) combination of circumstances.

Kind Regards, John

He's applying what many might call 'common sense' - but, as you will have seen here, some people will argue that, even if the plate is plastic, the faceplate screws will usually be metal, and therefore theoretically present a risk of electric shock, but only in the event of a (I would say incredibly improbable) combination of circumstances.

Kind Regards, John
It's very simple...
If there are exposed metal parts they should be earthed. If you have metal backboxes and no earth available then use nylon screws.

It doesn't remove the risk of electric shock if the front plate is removed... but then doesn't remove accessories with the power on(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back