Light switch earthing

For those interested, one of the sockets that wasn’t caulked in the new install… staggered

Attachments

• IMG_1216.jpeg
    IMG_1216.jpeg
    284.7 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
and if anyone who smokes, drinks substantial amounts of alcohol or who participates in 'hazardous sports' (etc. etc.) is concerned about the faceplate screws of plastic accessories, I think I'll just laugh ;)
Well it is said that if we compare death by shark worldwide for 12 months average against UK only deaths by cows on a 12 month average then which is the most deadly? might surpriise some

Sponsored Links
and yes I always makes sure that an earth (tail or double cpc - I dont mind) will vist the metal back box E terminal, can you rely on the fixing screws being tight (slackened off to decorate etc and not retightend), corrosion making tot a poor connection etc etc? It only takes a min.
And if you put your finger over the screw hole then I would expect possibillity/probabillity of light contact between finger and screw head, so it only takes a min to "do it proper"- ish

and yes I always makes sure that an earth (tail or double cpc - I dont mind) will vist the metal back box E terminal, can you rely on the fixing screws being tight (slackened off to decorate etc and not retightend), corrosion making tot a poor connection etc etc? It only takes a min.
And if you put your finger over the screw hole then I would expect possibillity/probabillity of light contact between finger and screw head, so it only takes a min to "do it proper"- ish
Yes, and good for you :)
It doesn't take much extra time and can be considered best practice, to include a tail.

However, to avoid confusion to the OP (which there still seems to be), the IET 'guidance' suggests it is not necessary for a separate tail, under these circumstances.
Their socket wiring is not 'incorrect'.

Although, this does not make the rest of the wiring 'correct', with examples of tape over wires, multiple conductors into single Wagos, etc.

The 'guidance' also suggests that having a faceplate without an earth terminal, the earths should be connected to the terminal in the metal back box.

Guidance.jpg

This is also not the case here, even though JohnW2's RA would probably deem this practically unnecessary! :)

Last edited:
An electrician has seen and advised multiple cables can go into the Wago. I’m perplexed!

I emailed Wago yesterday.

This is their response (impressively speedy reply).

You should only insert one conductor per pole as due to variances in copper you cannot guarantee that the spring will clamp on multiple conductors.

If it is necessary to insert more than one conductor per spring you should always mechanically bond the conductors first by using a crimp or solder.

Perhaps if might be useful if you let your electricians know that the manufacturer says that it is not approved.

Yes, and good for you :)
It doesn't take much extra time and can be considered best practice, to include a tail.

However, to avoid confusion to the OP (which there still seems to be), the IET 'guidance' suggests it is not necessary for a separate tail, under these circumstances.
Their socket wiring is not 'incorrect'.

Although, this does not make the rest of the wiring 'correct', with examples of tape over wires, multiple conductors into single Wagos, etc.

The 'guidance' also suggests that having a faceplate without an earth terminal, the earths should be connected to the terminal in the metal back box.

View attachment 328882

This is also not the case here, even though JohnW2's RA would probably deem this practically unnecessary! :)
Thank you for sharing the really useful guidance.

Even if the sockets are not breaching any rules, looks like I’ll need to follow up on the switches.

Is this really a new install ? The wall and paint finish is very poor
It is. The contractor arranged for second fix electrical after decorating. Or is it just my painting that’s no good?

It is. The contractor arranged for second fix electrical after decorating. Or is it just my painting that’s no good?

As a decorator, I am guessing that masking tape was used at some point...

Well it is said that if we compare death by shark worldwide for 12 months average against UK only deaths by cows on a 12 month average then which is the most deadly? might surpriise some
Well, for a start, there's more than a little 'chalk and cheese' in the comparison you mention :)

As I'm sure you realise (in view of what of my post you quoted) my point was simply that, in the UK, there are dramatically more deaths due to the 'life choices' I mentioned (smoking, drinking a substantial amounts of alcohol etc.) than from any cause related to electricity, let alone due to people touching faceplate screws of plastic electrical accessories.

In fact, I have to wonder if there have ever been any fatalities (or even serious injuries) due to people touching such faceplate screws.

Kind Regards, John

Well, for a start, there's more than a little 'chalk and cheese' in the comparison you mention :)

As I'm sure you realise (in view of what of my post you quoted) my point was simply that, in the UK, there are dramatically more deaths due to the 'life choices' I mentioned (smoking, drinking a substantial amounts of alcohol etc.) than from any cause related to electricity, let alone due to people touching faceplate screws of plastic electrical accessories.

In fact, I have to wonder if there have ever been any fatalities (or even serious injuries) due to people touching such faceplate screws.

Kind Regards, John
Whether they have or not doesn't come into it does it?
The simple fact is; injury could be caused and things can be done to take that risk away

John, the problem might not be as inconveivable as you may be suggesting.
Let's assume the back box isn't connected via a cpc loop and relies upon the somewhat 'loose' IET guidance of using the faceplate screws.
In normal circumstances this may well be ok.
Now assume that someone decides to (for whatever reason) remove the faceplate.
Both screws are now out and the faceplace is being drawn forward.
At that moment there is a chance (due to poor installation workmanship) that a live wire comes away from the fitting and the bare end of it springs back and comes to rest against any part of the back-box.
If the 'dabbler' should now touch the (live) back-box .........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back