Light Switch help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im hoping someone will be able to solve this problem that im having. I have moved into a place and want to put an outside light and a light in a little lean to which is on the side of the house. At the moment i have the kitchen light which has two switches either side of the room but want to put a 3 gang switch to replace one of the single switch. Can someone explain how to wire it up, the new switch has 3 coms at the bottom and 3 L1, L2's at the top. Many thanks :D

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for your reply but still no luck, i have a brown wire, black with brown sleave, and grey with brown sleave and an earth from the main wiring and i have two sets of brown, blue and earth wires from the lights i want to connect. i have but all the earths together and main wires as follows, brown wire in L1,black with sleave in L2 and grey with sleave in com, can anyone help me where all the other wires go and if there needs to be any loops thanks :D

Sponsored Links
No sorry it was a single gang switch and there is one the other side of the kitchen both for kitchen lights

so before you started there was just one three core cable, and you have added the two, two core cables... yes?
if yes you cant wire off this switch sorry

yes that sounds right if it wont work could it be wired to a 2 gang switch to have one for the kitchen and one for an outside light. Also why wont it work just so i know in the future

well if you look at the wiring diagrams you will see that the live flows from the c to l1 and then l2, there is no neutral at the switch.
you could pick up a live from a socket via a spur with a 5A fuse and use this to feed your new lights

so would a 2 gang switch be no good for an outside light and the kitchen light

Yes, it will be fine for a 2 lights, however you do not currently have the correct wiring configuration to just slap an outside light on the switch as others have said, it doesn't sound like you currently have a neutral to connect the outside light to for it to work.

As the switches are in the kitchen this work is notifiable to your LABC under part P of the building regs so it is probably worthwhile employing an electrician who is a member of a competent person scheme to do the work for you.
http://www.competentperson.co.uk/search.asp

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back