Light Switch Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
152AFF25-166E-4A43-8EB2-8C0A84066687.jpeg
7FCA7C54-AA68-40B9-930C-DDCDF559321D.jpeg
152AFF25-166E-4A43-8EB2-8C0A84066687.jpeg
Hello

I am having a lot of difficulty figuring out the correct wiring for a 2 way, 4 gang light switch. As pictured.

The far right red wire feeds a light switch in the next room.

Next in is a red, blue and yellow cable which feeds a single switch on the other side of the same room.

There are then 4 red wires to the left, 1 of which I believe is the source red (it makes a voltage reader turn red when he others turn it blue).

The wires need to be connected to a 4 gang switch (also pictured).

I stupidly forgot to picture the socket before removing it for the room to be plastered. Does anyone have any ideas of how it should be correctly wired?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
The far right red wire feeds a light switch in the next room.
Ok.

Next in is a red, blue and yellow cable which feeds a single switch on the other side of the same room.
Can we have a picture of the other end, i.e. the other switch?

There are then 4 red wires to the left, 1 of which I believe is the source red (it makes a voltage reader turn red when he others turn it blue).
This source wire will be connected to the feed to the next room and placed in one of the COMMON terminals.

The wires need to be connected to a 4 gang switch (also pictured).
I assume there are four lights which work independently. You don't actually say.

Please answer and show other switch before continuing.

When you took the switch apart, was there any little bits of wire connecting across the switches. If there was, then you've got one live feed that'll go to the Common on the first switch, and then the small links would got to each of the Common on each switch, and then the other three reds would go to the 1 way at the bottom of each switch. The red wire at the right hand side will go the the 3rd common. Now the red blue and yellow is the 2 way switch to the other side of the room, so check the wiring on that next, but it should be red to common, and yellow and blue to the 1 and 2 way.

But maybe calling someone qualified would be a good idea.

Sponsored Links
the opposite switch in the same room is red to common, yellow and blue to 1 and 2 way. But which gang would these be connected to on the main switch? and why does the far right red go to common 3?

Oh that was quick. I wasn't sure I was correct after posting.

So I asked another question.

thank you for your help. No, in the other switch in the same room there is just a red, yellow and a blue

Does common 3 need to loop to common 4. As how does the other switch in the room control the lighting if just fed from gang 4?

I am puzzled now because of the 3core and nothing else being connected to both switches.

Need a think.

Depends on whether the live is coming from the other switch, so if it didn't work afterwards, then you link the common from 3 to 4.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back