Light switch position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a discussion with builders and there is fairly random differences of opinion.

Extention gone in and new door opening through the cavity wall. there is to be a light switch each side of the wall for the 2 different rooms.

The side the door open into there is no doubt the switch goes on lock side but in the other room does it go hinge or lock side
1664289668663.png

EDIT: Following a PM to clarify, the question is relating to the room at the top of sketch, ie the door open outwards as you enter the room.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
1 vote for lock side. Switches near door handles, not near hinges, for me.

EDIT: Following your clarification. Still the lock side for me.

Last edited:
Lock, easier to switch on when entering the room and not having to navigate around the door.

Sponsored Links
L.

The only reason you would consider H would be if there was another door or walkway on the lefthand side.

Thanks all. My own opinion is also lock side and I have installed like that myself. The builder insists Hinge side is correct and the way he demonstrated made a lot of sense.
Excuse my sketch but entering the room reaching forwards is easier, (the switch is almost in view) than backwards:
1664315635946.png

He demonstrated this at 3 other existing doors and all were at the hinge side.

So thinking about my own home I have 5 doors that open outwards (6 if one counts the Granny Annex bedroom door as the entrance to the lounge) and tonight I've experimented and found that unless the door is fully opened and let go of he is correct. However, generally one is still holding the partially open door as you proceed unless there is an obstruction such as exiting the Granny Annex bedroom
1664316863008.png
1664317399343.png

1664318299392.png

Back door was a later addition by making the window (to the left) narrower and the only place for the switch is the reveal
1664317890836.png

And finally the WC, the only place the position feels awkward and the place we regularly have to tell guests where the switch is
1664319800560.png

In conclusion; I have completely changed my mind and agree the correct place is hinge side, it really does flow better (assuming no other factors involved).

It surely depends upon whether one is going to turn to the right or left after stepping through thye doorway, doesn't it? If, in your diagram, one was going to turn right, then the switch on the hinge side would be 'backwards', wouldn't it?

Kind Regards, John

It surely depends upon whether one is going to turn to the right or left after stepping through thye doorway, doesn't it? If, in your diagram, one was going to turn right, then the switch on the hinge side would be 'backwards', wouldn't it?

Kind Regards, John
I get what your're saying John but can you do me a favour and try it at several doors, I mean really open and close them, enter and reach for the switch on both sides.
I'd not given it a thought before.

I get what your're saying John but can you do me a favour and try it at several doors, I mean really open and close them, enter and reach for the switch on both sides.
I've tried, and it seems to confirm what I suggested - i.e. that one "cannot please all of the people for all of the time".

I would imagine we would agree than when one is going through a doorway in the direction such that the door opens away from one, then any switch 'on the other side' must be on the 'lock side', since one would have to go on a 'trek' around the opening door before one could even see, let alone operate, a switch on the hinge side.

The question therefore only arises in relation to going through a doorway in the direction such as the door is open towards one. In that situation, experimentation seems to confirm what I said before - that it depends upon 'which way one is going to go' after walking through the doorway. If the answer is 'straight on' (e.g. if it is a door between two rooms, fairly central in the rooms' walls), then what one naturally does is opens the door wide (to something like 90°), so that one can 'walk straight in', facing forward, in which case, I don't think it makes much difference what side a switch (on the other side of the door) is - one will have to twist one's body/hands the same amount in either case.

However, taking my house as an example (and a hotel or suchlike would be an even better one!), many of my rooms have doors opening onto corridors, with the doors opening 'into' the rooms in question - i.e. the doors open towards one when one is walking from room into corridor. It that case, as I previously suggested, it really seems to depend upon which way one is going to walk once one gets into the corridor. If one is going to walk in the direction of the door's hinge, then you are probably right in saying that it would be more convenient/natural to have a switch outside that door on the hinge side However, if one is going to walk down the corridor in the direction of the door's lock, then it is probably preferable (more 'natural') for the switch outside the door to be on the lock side.

I think the point is that if one opens a door (towards one) with the intent of turning right or left immediately after going through the doorway, then one will already have 'pointed one's body' somewhat to the left or right (towards the hinge or lock) as one opens and steps through the doorway - so which side is the more convenient/natural to have a switch will be totally dependent on which way one is going to turn (hence which way ones body will be pointing as one goes through the doorway.

That's how it seems to me - both in theory and after some experiments, anyway!

I'd not given it a thought before.
I'm not sure that I had particularly consciously, either.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back