Light wired wrong - what actually happened

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced a transformer on a hall light. There's another identical light in a different part of the hall.

Stupidly I didn't make a note of which light wires connected to which circuit wires. Anyway after wiring up and switching on both lights came on but all bulbs in both lights were at about half power. All sorted now and working properly. I'm presuming I mixed live and neutral but what, from a technical point of view, would cause both lights to run dim?

Thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
Blimey that was a quick reply - thanks. So each light was only receiving half the volts? I'd have thought the transformer wouldn't have worked at all if that was the case.

Depends on what is in the box that you call a transformer - some are switch mode PSUs.
A bog standard transformer will still function on half the volts, half the volts on the input will give half the volts on the output.
Switch mode ones are anyones guess!

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks. That makes sense actually as the instructions mention that it supports dimmer switches.

Ian

Modern dimmer switches don't reduce the voltage, they clip the sine wave to reduce the power into the load.

Reducing the voltage could produce the same effect at the output of the SMPSU

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back