Light Wiring Check

Is it controlled by a 2-gang switch with one gang for the luminaire and the other gang for the fan?

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that there is a second red (which I can't really see) coming from cable A, and that there are two reds (one from each cable, going into the top of connector 1 (again which I can't really see).

Yes two reds and no black in cable A (in the picture) going to 1 and 2

Red and black in cable B going to 1 (red) and 3 (black).

in other words
connector 1 has two reds - one from each cable
connector 2 has a red from cable A
connector 3 has the only black from cable B

Do I take it that it was possible to switch on the fan even if the light was off?

Exactly so. The light and the fan are individually controlled by pull switches on the fitting. The light could be switched on and off if the wall switch was on, but with the wall switch off the light was permanently off. The fan however could be switched on and off from the fitting idependently of the wall switch.

Yes. This flex goes directly into the fitting and it is 4 core. (1 -brown 2 -red 3 -black 4 -earth in the above photo)
If the new fitting is just a lamp then it will only have Live ( brown ) Neutral ( blue ) and Earth ( green/yellow)

So where does this 4 core come from....? Is it the cable from the old fitting. If it is then you can discard it.

So where does this 4 core come from....? Is it the cable from the old fitting. If it is then you can discard it.

Yes it is, and I am aware of that.

What I am trying to ascertain is what I do with each of the wires running into the four core.

Sponsored Links
Reluctantly poking my nose in lol

If you look at the rosé it has 3 terminals and an earth.

The middle terminal is used to join the 2 reds.

The outer 2 terminals used to connect to the lamp wires.

The earth point holds the earths together.

All very cleaver and designed for the job

The middle terminal is for the 2 reds which are already joined

.... so I did that an the light stayed permanently on regardless of the switch.

and then I re-connected to the single red and everything seemed to work.

Go figure :)

A perfect example of why bas recomends learning how things work before tampering, this is basic electrics.

Aside from the Neutrals and earth, there was only two possible connections to use for the new light live.

One would cause lhe light to be permanently on,
The other
light would work via the switch

A perfect example of why bas recomends learning how things work before tampering, this is basic electrics.

Which is exactly what I was trying to do when I first posted.

Are you suggesting that I should go find out the answer to my question and then come here and post it?

Doesn't that rather defeat the object?

Isn't this place about getting basic understandings?

Isn't that is why it's called DIYNot rather than ExperiencedTradespeopleNot?

Thanks. Very useful. Wish I'd seen that earlier.

Thanks. Very useful. Wish I'd seen that earlier.

t2565753.jpg

:confused:

Thanks for your help ban-all-sheds

20 odd posts in which none of the "experts" here quite figured out the problem ... and then I get to it by trial and error ... and then someone actually points me at the right answer .... and then you add you contribution which is to patronise me.

How stupid of me not to have searched for "Traditional “loop-in” ceiling rose wiring, aka “3-plate”" before troubling you.

Way to go mate! Hope I can help you one day with something you should have known before you asked.

20 odd posts in which none of the "experts" here quite figured out the problem ... and then I get to it by trial and error ... and then someone actually points me at the right answer .... and then you add you contribution which is to patronise me. ... How stupid of me not to have searched for "Traditional “loop-in” ceiling rose wiring, aka “3-plate”" before troubling you.
To be fair, I would imagine that everyone who was trying to help you (none of whom actually claimed to be an 'expert') assumed that we were dealing with at least a sort-of 'loop-in' wiring system (in the sense that the cable with two reds went to a switch, and the only one was the 'supply'). However, particularly given all the hidden conductors in your photos, that in itself was not enough to allow anyone to give you a definitive answer.

Kind Regards, John

To be fair, I would imagine that everyone who was trying to help you (none of whom actually claimed to be an 'expert') assumed that we were dealing with at least a sort-of 'loop-in' wiring system (in the sense that the cable with two reds went to a switch, and the only one was the 'supply'). However, particularly given all the hidden conductors in your photos, that in itself was not enough to allow anyone to give you a definitive answer.

... and very grateful I am for it too ... particularly for the help that you offered John ... and if I came across as anything other than grateful to anyone who offered help then I am sorry.

Let me say it clearly. Thanks guys, and thanks site owners for the facility.

Job is done. On to the next one.

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back