Lighting 101, basic but...

Sponsored Links
i.e. the heat output of a 60W CFL is nowhere near as much as that of a 60W incandescent.
By how much, do you reckon? I'd always assumed the same, but I suppose your reasoning is that more energy goes into visible light.
Indeed - as he explained in his next post:
AFAIK an incandescent lamp turns about 90% of the energy it consumes into heat, and a CFL about 30%. So a 20W CFL will produce, not as much heat as a 20W incandescent, but as much as a 7W one.
He is therefore suggesting that an incandescent lamp will generate roughly 3 times more heat than a CFL of the same wattage.

Mind you, as bernard pointed out, with a CFL the heat is mainly generated close to the base, not all over the envelope - so , particularly if it is installed 'base up', the heat will probably not be dissipated as quickly from a CFL. That might suggest that the base of, say, a 60W CFL would get hotter than one might expect (from 'heat watts' alone), but probably nothing like as hot as the envelope of a 60W incandescent.

Kind FRegards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back