Lighting 101, basic but...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a pair of lamps that have 60W / 13W as the guideline.
My wife wants maximum light from it...

If I use an energy saving bulb can I go above the recommended 13W?

Basic but thanks!

Cal

Sponsored Links
That will be the maximum for a CFL energy saving lamp. If you can get an LED that fits it will give more light than a CFL.

OK thanks. It is a standard bayonet fitting.

So I have to keep to the 13W (max) if I use a CFL?

But with LED I can go up to....?

Sponsored Links
OK, I just thought it might be able to tolerate a higher wattage

The maximum rating of 60W is based on the heat output, usually limited by the shade fitted.

The comparison with low energy types is nonsense - 13W is just some useless conversion indicating a similar light output.

A 60W CFL could be fitted if it would physically fit in there.
The fitting/shade doesn't know whether its a CFL, LED or anything else.

so...even though it says '60W/13W' max' on the shade, I can in fact use a 20W CFL?

You may use a 150W CFL if it will fit*, on the grounds that they produce far less heat than incandescents.

i.e. the heat output of a 60W CFL is nowhere near as much as that of a 60W incandescent.

* Which it surely won't - a 150W CFL is huge.

03-115150w_cfl_lamp.jpg

:mrgreen:

Basically, the biggest CFL you can get in there will be absolutely fine - you don't need to worry about heat. Do check the instructions for any lamps you look at - I don't know what orientation it has in your fittings, but not all CFLs are happy base-up.

Basically, the biggest CFL you can get in there will be absolutely fine - you don't need to worry about heat. ~~~ ~~~~but not all CFLs are happy base-up.

Comparing heat produced in an incandescent lamp with heat produced in a Compact Fluorescent Lamp ( CFL ) shows that it is not as simple as it seems.

The heat from the incandescent lamp comes almost entirely from the large area of the glass and not the cap ( screw or bayonet end of the lamp )

Most of the heat created in CFL lamps is created by the electronics in the cap of the lamp and thus the heat is more concentrated in the lamp holder and is not dissipated by the air flow over the glass.

Hence the reason why some ( many ) CFLs are not happy "base up", they over heat.

That's all true, but once you introduce the inevitable size constraints the OP will have, I really don't think he has to worry about where the heat is produced in the lamp, wrt to damage to the lampholder or shade, as there will be so little of it.

AFAIK an incandescent lamp turns about 90% of the energy it consumes into heat, and a CFL about 30%. So a 20W CFL will produce, not as much heat as a 20W incandescent, but as much as a 7W one. Whatever will fit in the OPs lights will be fine.

Sounds like you need to install a fan into the lamp shade to increase air flow and hence cooling.

Oh is wish it was that simple. I have an 11W CFL with 900 lm output classed a A with a G23 base it is likely as good as any LED lamp. But most 11W CFL are no where near that output of light.

Clearly the more light the less heat but my folded tube is not used with a BA22d fitting and if one wants to run on the limits then you have to consider the heat of the lamp used.

So moving beyond the manufactures recommended sizes it's up to you to decide if that unit can take the heat and it's no good trying to move the responsibility if you want to exceed the manufactures recommendations it up to you and no one else to work out if it's OK.

We have a pair of lamps that have 60W / 13W as the guideline.
Well - I'd stake what's left of my pension that that guideline was written by somebody who didn't have a clue, and all they did was to see somewhere that an 11W CFL is "equivalent" to a 60W incandescent, and decide that therefore 13W should be the limit for CFLs in their product.

Thanks guys - really glad I asked the question because the sticker on the lamp is clearly advising (incorrectly) that a CFL cannot be more that 13W (hence my question) with the shade/lamp.

But I now understand that I could add the 20W CFL that we really need in that lamp to make the room brighter. So thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back