Lighting circuit wired as a ring

Sponsored Links
I no there is no need I would never do this but some one I spoke to 2day said they had wired there lights as a ring on a 6 amp breaker and wondered if it was safe??

Don't see why not, providing all the normal criteria is met. Just a waste of cable.

Sponsored Links
It's not a good idea to wire unconventional circuits when they're not necessary as it can cause confusion. Imagine if someone later decided to add more lighting and, seeing two cables in one breaker, decided to split them into two to lower the loading. That would be dangerous. Obviously a proper electrician would notice, but you never know... Ok, not that likely, but no point tempting fate...

Yes - weird eh?

Back to topic. To me, the confusion would be the worst part. Yesterday I had to fault find a short circuit on the communal lights of a four storey block of flats. Whoever wired it shoved them all on one MCB. Without a clue how it had been wired, I was able to find the fault by splitting the circuit in half, then in half again until I narrowed it down enought to find the faulty fitting. Just imagine if that block had been wired in a ring? It wouldn't be what I was expecting, the half split method of fault finding probably wouldn't have worked and I'd still be there today scratching my head!

Stick to the conventional method of wiring lighting circuits for the benefit of people who might have to fix it in years to come, plus as others have said there is no actual need, or reason to break with the convention.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back