lighting control change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all How can I do away with one of my 2 way switches in my shop I have row of lights and I want them controlled by one switch
Linda

Sponsored Links
In one of the switches there will be a 2 core and a 3 core cable. Simply remove the 3 core, which goes to the other switch.

In one of the switches there will be a 2 core and a 3 core cable. Simply remove the 3 core, which goes to the other switch.

What? That's a load of old rubbish, and wont work. The position of either the live or switch live will also need moving, as with a typical 2-way arrangement the L and SL will be in the L1 and L2 terminals.

Right now, I'm wondering if the OP really does want to remove one switch from a 2-way switch circuit, or if there is actually a 2 gang switch and the OP wants all loads moving onto a single switch.

Slightly clearer idea of what you require is needed here.

Also if you do have a two way that you want converting to two way (not a two gang converting into a one gang) how are the switches wired, conversion or orthodox? Could you take photo's of the wiring behind the switches for us?

Sponsored Links
A SIMPLE Diagram of what you want would be good too.

Martin

Photos of inside both the switches, indicate which one you want to do away with.

Hello all How can I do away with one of my 2 way switches in my shop I have row of lights and I want them controlled by one switch
Linda

Do you have appropriate insurance to be carrying out this work?

What? That's a load of old rubbish, and wont work. The position of either the live or switch live will also need moving, as with a typical 2-way arrangement the L and SL will be in the L1 and L2 terminals.

Right now, I'm wondering if the OP really does want to remove one switch from a 2-way switch circuit, or if there is actually a 2 gang switch and the OP wants all loads moving onto a single switch.
One of the wires will need moving to COM, yes.
The OP stated they wanted to "do away with one of my 2 way switches".
Interpret that how you want.

one switch at the door and one at the back of the shop the one at the door will be eventually used to light the overnight window/security but one thing at a time
Linda

Steve's question is very important.

This is a shop.

If you have employees, you have responsibilities to them under H&S legislation, particularly in this case the EAWR, and given your question I don't think you are competent enough to discharge those responsibilities.

Your employers liability insurance may have something to say about it too.

Even if you have no employees, you have a duty of care to your customers, and again your public liability insurance might require you to use a qualified electrician,

Hi perhaps I should explain exaclty what's going on The shop is a recent accquistion and at present we are and gutting rejigging the interior the light situation will be a temporary measure whilst we are working in it and we are taking down a wall timber stud wall and one switch is on said wall I simply wish to remove this as its dangling in mid air and I really dont want it bunged up in the roof void as one joiner suggests but I need the lights on and yes I appreciate your concerns over safety but the electrician wont be here untill a month from now to completely upgrade the installation, and Iam sure that a temporary solution can be found ,
L

Can you bung him a tenner and a cup of tea (and half coated chocolate biscuits usually go down a treat) to come and sort it out for you?

spark123, were it that simple we are a whole 4 hours 240 miles travel from the nearest spark when he does arrive its he rekons a three day job plus travel plus 3 nights accomodation and I have got to get the leccy board to get the finger out first to turn it off then turnit on and where are they based ? Oban, another whole day away, well to leccy board anyway they must stop every hour for tea break :(
L

You must have good roads up there!
Are there no other sparks closer? Where about in Argyll?

The roads are not brilliant but the traffic is light and the few sparks in this area need hay for the transport they arrive on, they are generally Ok Folks but Plumber, Electrician, Roofer, Plasterer, does not exactley inspire confidence, I am between Oban and Lochgilphead,
L

If this really is only temporary and you follow the instructions that have already been provided, not to mention taking a look at the lighting circuit diagrams in the WIKI, this should be a relatively simple job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back