Lighting - mixing 12v and 240v?

alj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I live in a converted victorian house, with 3 flats. There is a communal hallway with three floors and each floor has a light, currently just standard pendants. There are also 3 push switches that turn the lights on for a specific time - one on each of the floors. Each switch will turn on all the lights.

Around one of the areas, the light provided isn't great and Im looking at things I could try to improve it. Something that could help is using a 'wire' system for one of the lights, which would allow me to run lights around a corner (and possibly down a slope?). However, all the ones I have seen are 12v. Is it a total non-starter to put a transformer in for one of the 3 lights and then run this wire system from it, whilst leaving the others as 240v, or is that ok in principle?

Sponsored Links
There's no problem putting a transformer on the same circuit as other (mains powered) lights unless you want to dim them (in which case you get a dimmable transformer). I can't imagine that you'd ever want to do that with your hall lights so go ahead.

The main problem I can see is whether you, as an unqualified person, are allowed to work on the electrics in the communal areas of the flats...

The main problem I can see is whether you, as an unqualified person, are allowed to work on the electrics in the communal areas of the flats...

The main problem I can see is whether you, as an unqualified person, are allowed to work on the electrics in your house. ;)

Sponsored Links
Let those without sin cast the first stone. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck - it's a duck. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander. Or in the words of the late great Tommy Cooper ' 'Kettle pot. Pot Kettle. Kettle pot' :)

I still don't understand what you are on about.

The OP want's to do some work in a communal area, which BAS rightly pointed out, he may not be allowed to do.

There has been no mention of the OP carrying out work within his own house :?:

Cheers for that. Obviously, I was purely checking whether it was even worth considering these types of lights or if I had to look for another solution... No suggestion of doing it myself ;)

Let those without sin cast the first stone. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck - it's a duck. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander. Or in the words of the late great Tommy Cooper ' 'Kettle pot. Pot Kettle. Kettle pot' :)
What on earth are you talking about?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back