lighting sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a through lounge with 2 sets of 2 wall-mounted lights on dimmer switches either side of the chimney breasts. They appear to be on a separate 5A circuit on the breaker box.
I'd like to replace all 4 outlets with single sockets for use with table lamps but I'm not too sure how this works with the dimmer switches? Also, would I have to upgrade the circuitbreaker fuse in case the next owner plugs a power drill in the 5A circuit?

Sponsored Links
That makes sense.
For "off-the-shelf" lamps I'd have to change the standard plugs to 5A plugs but i assume they'd still work with the dimmers?

Yep they will work fine with the dimmers providing the lights have standard 'bulbs' fitted, and you do not overload the dimmer by plugging in too many fittings.

Using the 5A sockets will overcome the problem of a standard appliance getting plugged into a lighting socket.

Sponsored Links
There is no reg prohibiting the use of standard 13A sockets on a 5 amp lighting circuit. However, it is discouraged because there's the temptation for someone to plug in a heater or a hogh-powered appliance etc, and blow the fuse/MCB.

In this case, it is also a bad idea because of the dimmer. "dimming" the voltage to a television could have disastrous effects for both the tv and the dimmer. So to protect your household appliances and the dimmer, you should use 5 amp round pin sockets and plugs.

Yes. I have, in the name of science, dimmed an old colour TV. As Crafty says, neither the dimmer or TV liked the experience, but as for the effect, I'm afraid I can't enlighten you. I was down the bottom of the garden...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back