Lighting under kitchen wall cabinets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm wanting to install some lights under the wall cabinets in my kitchen to illuminate the work surface. Probably some small fluorescent strip lights. The kitchen has just been built and hasn't been plastered yet, so I'm doing the first fix electrics. I'm wondering what the neatest method of routing power to these lights would be as I'd like all of the wiring to be out of sight.

Thanks,

Ross

Sponsored Links
I reckon a power outlet , above the wall units , then route the cable down the back of the units. Cornice on top of the wall units then also serve to hide the socket above. ;)

At some point you might want to add in a light switch. The fittings will probably have individual switches, but it's handy to be able to switch them all on/off together.

PJ

I reckon a power outlet , above the wall units , then route the cable down the back of the units. Cornice on top of the wall units then also serve to hide the socket above. ;)

That's the sort of thing I was thinking of. The tricky bit is getting the height of the socket just right.

Sponsored Links
At some point you might want to add in a light switch. The fittings will probably have individual switches, but it's handy to be able to switch them all on/off together.

Yeah, I've got the control part sorted. Will probably have 4 or 5 channels of lighting in the kitchen, some of it dimmable, all with clever controls. :cool:

That's the sort of thing I was thinking of. The tricky bit is getting the height of the socket just right.

Usual height of worktop is around 900mm-920mm (depending on thickness of worktop) Wall units are usually somewhere around 540mm above the worktop and standard height wall units are 720mm high This gives an overall height of around 2180mm I reckon if you set your outlet around the 2300mm -2350mm (to the bottom of the socket) mark, it won't be far out..
As another poster has suggested, you may want this socket to work off a wall switch for ease of operation. ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back