lighting with 4 wires including YELLOW????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a lighting circuit with 4 wires, red, black, earth and also a yellow cable. these are controlled by 2 switches however the strip light only has the usual 3 terminals- HELP!!!!

Sponsored Links
I know its a long shot, but how was it wired before?

Take a photograph if you can, as even for us this may prove unusual.

And "the usual 3 temrinals"? Most light fittings have 4 terminals.

Sponsored Links
i'm new to the site- appoligies if i'm a bit slow on how to use website, hopefully we can all pass advise unlike idiots from russia called holmslaw

Will you be able to upload a picture of this cable?

I'm intreaged

Do you have any test equipment with you? Multimeter or the like?

i'm new to the site- appoligies if i'm a bit slow on how to use website, hopefully we can all pass advise unlike idiots from russia called holmslaw

He's not from Russia, his IP puts him in UK.

Holmslaw is not an idiot, but now and again he is a bit lippy. Just ignore the windups and wait for a sensible answer.

Will you be able to upload a picture of this cable?

I'm intreaged

Do you have any test equipment with you? Multimeter or the like?

As i said, not sure if your receiving this, but will send photos when can- many thanks

I've had another message fron gavin the dip stick

"if u know what ur talking about then why the sarcastic reply in first place? the circuit contains live, neutral, earth + a yellow wire, the light only has live,neutral and earth terminals- if we can help each other then great, but your fist comment was not appreciated"

So once again, extremely interesting, but what is the question?

I do know what I'm talking about, but I genuinely don't know what you are talking about, its not my problem that you're a moron its yours.

i dont wish to fall out- four wires into a light that has 3 terminals, how does that work?? i thought i had made that clear, obviously not, appologies

So once again, extremely interesting, but what is the question?
Its not often I become enraged by a fellow helper on this forum, but Holmsaw, stop being such a pedantic idiot. The OP's problem is obvious, even if he didn't phrase it as a question. If you're not willing to help him, go away and stop cluttering up his thread.

Sounds like a two way switch circuit. Usually used to switch the landing light on/off from bottom of stairs etc. This wiring scheme can use 3 core + earth cable, eg black, red, yellow, and earth (should be sleeved green and yellow) I remember there being diagrams in the wiki section... but the diagrams aren't working for me. Try googling "two way light switching"

Good luck,

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back