lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a strip light fed by a single cable from light switch , i want to add 6 down lights how do i wire it from the existing cable
much help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Wire your downlight cable into the strip light. There should be a triple terminal block inside the fitting. Connect to this terminal, copying the positions of the existing cable.

This will mean that the downlights will come on at the same time as the strip light.

Make sure that you use the correct size cable and that you are not exceeding the max. current of the circuit by adding 6 downlights (6 downlights = 300W = 1.3 A).

thanks for help
its a loft conversion and im in scotland

Sponsored Links
Wire your downlight cable into the strip light. There should be a triple terminal block inside the fitting. Connect to this terminal, copying the positions of the existing cable.

This will mean that the downlights will come on at the same time as the strip light.

Make sure that you use the correct size cable and that you are not exceeding the max. current of the circuit by adding 6 downlights (6 downlights = 300W = 1.3 A).

i tried this but didnt work the light switch is a double switch in which the other switch serves another light 2 way to bottom of stairs
maybe i have wired the down lights wrong ie i have cable running to choc block which serves other lights ie all blues n browns connect to blues n browns

If the strip light still works then you have got the new lights wired wrong

the strip light works .. but to test only 1 down light how do i wire it up,,,this would be the quickest way to check the light works ...i can use short cable and down light to test
ps on strip light block red goes to 2browns and black goes to blue and white .
another alternative is to fit the loft light to ceiling rose in bedroom which i have working but i need to change the switch from 1 switch to 2 switch to independently switch on bedroom light and loft light how do i do this .
thanks again

Wire your downlight cable into the strip light.

i tried this but didnt work
i have cable running to choc block which serves other lights
So in other words you didn't try what sparkyspike advised...

if u read post u will see i did try ,,,bur maybe cable to downlight is connected wrong this is what im trying to determine as i have all 6 down lights wired up ,,,,and its help i need not sarcasim !!!!!!!!!

Bye
wave.gif

If the strip light still works then you have got the new lights wired wrong

yes possibily but if i omit strip light im left with red and black wires how do i then connect to down lights
ty

The last downlight should be wired into a junction box along with the 5th downlight. What sort of downlights are you fitting? On GU10 downlights, you can use the terminal block provided on top of the light fitting, but remember to connect the earth cable. On ELV downlights, you use junction boxes for the transformers or, if provided, use the terminals in the transformer itself.

The wiring from the 5th downlight connects into the same terminals as the 4th, and so on, until you're left with one cable - L N and E. Connect this directly into the L N and E terminals on the strip light. The L terminal should already have a red cable in it and the N terminals a black cable. These should remain in place when you wire in the new cables.

If you still have problems, then you're doing something fundamentally wrong.

The last downlight should be wired into a junction box along with the 5th downlight. What sort of downlights are you fitting? On GU10 downlights, you can use the terminal block provided on top of the light fitting, but remember to connect the earth cable. On ELV downlights, you use junction boxes for the transformers or, if provided, use the terminals in the transformer itself.

The wiring from the 5th downlight connects into the same terminals as the 4th, and so on, until you're left with one cable - L N and E. Connect this directly into the L N and E terminals on the strip light. The L terminal should already have a red cable in it and the N terminals a black cable. These should remain in place when you wire in the new cables.

If you still have problems, then you're doing something fundamentally
wrong.

thanks for reply / yes its the gu10s but still confused what u mean ,,, as ive used the terminal box provided ,
the way ive wired the downlights are hence,,,,,,,,,
1 cable ...l n e ...going to 6 down lights and cable cut n connected by choc block then cable from choc bloc to terminal where im installing lights all connections are l.n.e to l.n.e so its a continueness l n e basically like string lighting ,,,,,then connecting the cable to strip light but obviously this must be wrong as ive tried a short length of cable with a downlight and connected to red n black on strip light which is basically a short version of what ive got wired for other 5..my apologies if iv misunderstood what youve said
but as the strip light bulb conked out yest,,is there a way to connect the lights omitting the strip light

Erm yeah - take the cable out of the strip light and connect it to the new lights . . .

Erm yeah - take the cable out of the strip light and connect it to the new lights . . .

ty for reply but....
i tried that too with a short cable and 1 downlight so its a str8 blue to black and brown to red using choc block . if that is the correct way to wire then is it not something to do with lightswitch ?as its connected to a double switch which in turn is a 2 way for landing lights .
ty

ps the downlight does work when connected to the ceiling rose in bedroom but would mean coverting a 1 switch to a 2 switch which would require more info

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back