lighting

internal fuse to the striplight poped under the additional load?

like I KEEP saying, we need a photo of the ACTUAL connection in the striplight...

Sponsored Links
the striplight "tube blew"

what symptoms exactly did it exhibit for you to reach this conclusion?

sorry wrong choice of word more like burst :D as the joiner knocked it over but as im omitting this light 4 now i still feel theres something im fundamently doing wrong with the spots and the supply cable
thanks again

internal fuse to the striplight poped under the additional load?

like I KEEP saying, we need a photo of the ACTUAL connection in the striplight...

ok will try but bear with me as im trying to keep up with all the help
this strip light tube burst b4 connection to spot lights

but as im trying the bare cable now does that matter that im omitting the strip light ?
ty again
//www.diynot.com/network/gg1a/albums/ View media item 11296 View media item 11295 View media item 11299 View media item 11300 View media item 11301 View media item 11301 View media item 11302 View media item 11288

still not quite grasped the concept of "close-up" yet have you?

View media item 11309
we want the bits circled in red, filling the photo..
though your jumper may be nice we really don't it included in the shot. ;)

take the picture from 4-6 inches away and use macro mode on your camera ( looks like a flower symbol ).

and you can delete the last 3 photo's they're just repeats..

if you have touched nothing at the switch then put it back and stop messing with it... the problem is elsewhere..

Sponsored Links
still not quite grasped the concept of "close-up" yet have you?

View media item 11309
we want the bits circled in red, filling the photo..
though your jumper may be nice we really don't it included in the shot. ;)

take the picture from 4-6 inches away and use macro mode on your camera ( looks like a flower symbol ).

and you can delete the last 3 photo's they're just repeats..

if you have touched nothing at the switch then put it back and stop messing with it... the problem is elsewhere..

i was asked to show switch by steve ,,didnt mess with it
im using laptop web cam
the strip light is fed by red n black cable as in pic \thn the usual connections inside the strip light if your familiar with strips you will know
red is connected to 2 browns and black to blue n white

im also tryin to show u my downlight cable nxt to strip and askin how to connect and if the downlight cable is connected properly before i connect to strip
dont b too concerned about other cables there spare
in 1 other pic you can see the cable disconnected from strip and connect to downlight cable through connecter which doesnt work so im assuming im doin something wrong

all these "spare wires" used to go where?

if the striplight worked before you smashed it, and you're sure that the cable in it is still the one it originally had, then remove it from the striplight and conect the red wire from it to the brown wire to the downlight, the black wire from it to the blue wire to the downlight, and the earth to the earth ( SLEEVING!!! )

now discard the striplight and mark the cable you took from it so you can ID it and not get it mixed up with the others..

all these "spare wires" used to go where?

if the striplight worked before you smashed it, and you're sure that the cable in it is still the one it originally had, then remove it from the striplight and conect the red wire from it to the brown wire to the downlight, the black wire from it to the blue wire to the downlight, and the earth to the earth ( SLEEVING!!! )

now discard the striplight and mark the cable you took from it so you can ID it and not get it mixed up with the others..

thanks for your time and patience but ive titled 2 pics for u to see
as in previous posts ive already tried that this is where the problem lies \see pic cable to downlight \ the spares are left over bits

sorry to do this but we must now run through the "idiots checklist"...

is the switch for the loft lights switched on when you test the downlight?

is there another switch other than the one in the hallway?

is there a fused switched spur in the loft? is the fuse in it blown?

is the power back on when you test?

you will need to aquire a multimeter in the morning and use it's AC volts range to check if there is 240V at the terminal block when the power is on, and the switch itself is on..

alternatively, if you live close by I could swing by and take a look for you.. minimum charge £20 ;)

you will need to aquire a multimeter in the morning and use it's AC volts range to check if there is 240V at the terminal block when the power is on, and the switch itself is on..

alternatively, if you live close by I could swing by and take a look for you.. minimum charge £20 ;)

yes ive checked the obvious 1s/ the switch serves also a 2 way light in landing it was originally a single 2way switch if i recall correctly and i changed it to a double for the loft light under leccys guidance
therefore 1switch is for the loft light and the other on the double for the 2way switch on landing which also has a switch at bottom of stairs
if u see pic the foremost cable is the loft light cable

thanks everyone for their help much appreciated
the light works now solved the problem
now comes the silly bit on my behalf explaining to u all what the problem was but i feel i have to admit my error to u all

as i wasnt getting a response to my ? about how i wired the temp wiring for downlight i took it as read that that wiring was ok

so the fault must b in the other cable \switch as col was trying to determine .
so i took the step of connecting a temp cable from the downlight to the other terminal on the switch which worked
so the set up was correct therefore must be the permanent cable
i then checked the connection in the terminal block and found the bare wire had bent somehow and i was only tightnen the red insulation so no connection

i spoz these things happen

but again thanks all for your time n patience

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back