lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have tried to install a new hallway light but hen i turn this light on it turns the upstairs one on aswell i have one switch at the top of the stairs
two way switch at the bottom of the stairs to turn on the upstairs and the other to turn on the hallway i also have a switch at the frontdoor to turn on the hall way in the light fittings its circle with two holes for the live wires three holes for neutral and three holes for the other red wires any ideas what i have done wrong

Sponsored Links
carway said:
i have tried to install a new hallway light but hen i turn this light on it turns the upstairs one on aswell i have one switch at the top of the stairs
two way switch at the bottom of the stairs to turn on the upstairs and the other to turn on the hallway i also have a switch at the frontdoor to turn on the hall way in the light fittings its circle with two holes for the live wires three holes for neutral and three holes for the other red wires any ideas what i have done wrong
sounds like you have the feed in and switched mixed up. see for reference on how it should be wired

how do i know if its the feed in wire i have four red wires two black wires and then the brown wire and the blue wire i put one of the red to the live hole with the brown wire and wo black ones with the blue to the n holes and the remaining red wires to the three holes in loop in does this sound right two of the red wires are in grey sleeves

andrew2022 said:
carway said:
sounds like you have the feed in and switched mixed up. see for reference on how it should be wired

connect both blacks to the neutral. since you have 4 reds and 2 blacks, i assume you have a twin red to the switch. connect 1 of these reds to the live to the light. connect the other 3 reds together in the loop.

Sponsored Links
i have done that but this were the problem is were the switch is turning the upstair light at the same time but on the light fitting there is a junction box would it be easier using that if i put the two black wire to n and one red wire to the l and then the other three red wire to the loop but there is no other wire from the light going into the loop

carway said:
i have done that but this were the problem is were the switch is turning the upstair light at the same time but on the light fitting there is a junction box would it be easier using that if i put the two black wire to n and one red wire to the l and then the other three red wire to the loop but there is no other wire from the light going into the loop

have you wired it exactly like i said? and can you post a pic?

i have just checked i have four red wires two black i have put three red into the loop one in live two blacks into n its a circle with 8 hloes two are for live three for loop in and two for netural

andrew2022 said:
connect both blacks to the neutral. since you have 4 reds and 2 blacks, i assume you have a twin red to the switch. connect 1 of these reds to the live to the light. connect the other 3 reds together in the loop.

on my light fittin it has 4 holes one for live one for n one for earth and then one for loop but no wire from the light goes into the loop is this correct

carway said:
i have just checked i have four red wires two black i have put three red into the loop one in live two blacks into n its a circle with 8 hloes two are for live three for loop in and two for netural

andrew2022 said:

carway said:
on my light fittin it has 4 holes one for live one for n one for earth and then one for loop but no wire from the light goes into the loop is this correct
Yes - the loop is what it says - it loops from one ceiling rose to the next, and it is permanently live, so you do not connect a light to it.

If you look at the diagrams in the For Reference topic you will see how it all works - the only difference is that you have a twin red cable going to the switch, when usually the normal red/black cable is used, with a bit of red sleeving put over the black wire to show that it is not a neutral. The good news is that it makes it much easier for you to identify the switch cable, as only one of your 3 cables will have 2 reds. Usually people in your position get to this stage and have to start doing tests to find out which of their 3 red/black cables is the switch cable.....

Carway, i would attempt to read your posts, were it not for your non-existent use of punctuation. I am amazed anyone else has bothered interpreting. Punctuation really helps when you are describing where things go, and which wire goes where.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back