lights in a swimming pool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
A swimming teacher wants to take photos of the children in the pool. Can anyone recommend type of bulbs that will be suitable. Obviously the issue is not IP rating but the brightness of the bulbs.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why is IP rating not an issue? I would have thought that with any light being used in or around a pool, especially where children will be involved, having fittings with correct protection and IP rating would be the issue.

In any case, your question is extremely vague, so I'm not even sure how to answer it. Bulbs for for what? How bright? What type of light? What colour temperature? I would have thought a professional photographer would have been able to answer most of these questions.

Why is IP rating not an issue? I would have thought that with any light being used in or around a pool, especially where children will be involved, having fittings with correct protection and IP rating would be the issue.
I meant that the IP rating requirement is obvious, I can look at chapter 7.

In any case, your question is extremely vague, so I'm not even sure how to answer it. Bulbs for for what? How bright? What type of light? What colour temperature? I would have thought a professional photographer would have been able to answer most of these questions.

Just my question, if some one had the experience, I never done it before.
I believe that the idea is to put kind of lights around the pool that will be bright enough to allow taking photos of children in the pool. So can some one recommend type of bulbs (fittings) that will satisfy this requirement?

Sponsored Links
well there is the obvious thing about childeren and pictures for starters.

no, not quite THAT, but to take pictures of the parents have to give their consent in writing prior to pictures being taken, and if little johhn's mum says no then no pictures can have little johnny in the even in the back ground.

also there is no mention of the camera its location, are the kids ion the pool along with the camera?

the more i thinnk about it, the more i am thinking its not a good idea, no, nothing to do with THAT, but you can't use ordainairy lights above the water, and below the water IP68 lights will be fine, (but expensive) it just the camera will get wet.

I honestly think its a novel idea, but not a job for the swimming teacher.

well there is the obvious thing about childeren and pictures for starters.
I am not taking the pictures and this, I think, should be the teachers worry, I am just trying to make a living...
[[/quote]no, not quite THAT, but to take pictures of the parents have to give their consent in writing prior to pictures being taken, and if little johhn's mum says no then no pictures can have little johnny in the even in the back ground.[/quote]
Yes I have kids of my own, probably some parents asked to have photos of the kids in the pool, again, I am doing (if) a job for a (maybe) customer.

[/quote]also there is no mention of the camera its location, are the kids ion the pool along with the camera?
It is possible that there will be a professional photographer....

the more i thinnk about it, the more i am thinking its not a good idea, no, nothing to do with THAT, but you can't use ordainairy lights above the water, and below the water IP68 lights will be fine, (but expensive) it just the camera will get wet.
I know that this is not so simple, therefore I started this post.

I honestly think its a novel idea, but not a job for the swimming teacher.
Again I am not the police and there is no evidence that it is going to be used in an inproper way, I am the one that puts the lights in (if). They can use it for BBQ if they wish...

Hi,
A swimming teacher wants to take photos of the children in the pool. Can anyone recommend type of bulbs that will be suitable. Obviously the issue is not IP rating but the brightness of the bulbs.

Thanks
Swimming pools are quite brightly lit anyway.
I would never consider installing any form of floodlighting, the problems are huge.
You should be able to get good results by using a high ISO value (film or digital ?) or consider using several battery slave flashes around the pool. You will need at least six to cover the large area and maybe a brolly on each to spread the light a bit.
Oh, yes and a flash meter....

Frank

I agree. Surely it's a job for a professional photographer, with all the gear, not for a DIY electrician. For a couple of hundred quid or so get an experienced professional who can produce the results you want, first time, no problem.

I agree. Surely it's a job for a professional photographer, with all the gear, not for a DIY electrician. For a couple of hundred quid or so get an experienced professional who can produce the results you want, first time, no problem.

I did not think that I need to flash my part P registration card every time I reply or start a post. As I said I was not asking about the safety issues ( section 702) I was asking about the quality of light and which bulbs might be suitable. Some of the replies covered one side of it. It is possible that it is a bad idea to be involved in it any how, but I will not know before doing my homework.

I'm sorry Albert, but as we've already tried to point out, you (or your client, as it seems) are looking at this from entirely the wrong angle. It is the photographers responsibility to provide a suitable light source for their work, and if you don't ask him/her first then you may find yourself specifying something entirely unsuitable for the job.

There are far too many variables to be taken into account, and surely a lot of the lighting issues will come down to the effect the photographer is trying to achieve? From my very limited experience in the field of picture taking, FDJ's advice seems like the most appropriate so far, although that may indeed differ from the personal opinion of the photographer being employed for this job.

Would any sort of bright light reflect off the water?
I can't help but think a photographer will know the best way around it, anything installed around the pool area will certainly fall under the zones of the special location so IP ratings, risk assessments etc will need to be done, ifor example what is the chance of the lights being knocked over into the water? What if they fall over and you end up with smashed glass on the floor and in the pool etc etc etc.
The pool will not fall under the umbrella of part p unless it is in or attached to a domestic dwelling. A public swimming pool will be a place of work so EAWR, HASWA etc will apply and also will have other legal duties in order for it to operate.

I'm sorry Albert, but as we've already tried to point out, you (or your client, as it seems) are looking at this from entirely the wrong angle. It is the photographers responsibility to provide a suitable light source for their work, and if you don't ask him/her first then you may find yourself specifying something entirely unsuitable for the job.

There are far too many variables to be taken into account, and surely a lot of the lighting issues will come down to the effect the photographer is trying to achieve? From my very limited experience in the field of picture taking, FDJ's advice seems like the most appropriate so far, although that may indeed differ from the personal opinion of the photographer being employed for this job.
Firstly thanks for the replies, when I said that it was partially answered i was thinking of what you repeated in this post. I am aware of the complications and the almost unlimited options and combination in a scenario like this, but I believe that asking questions for second opinion and or advice cannot be harmful, dangerous but positive. if you do not learn something new some one who read the posts will... In any case i can feel which direction the wind blows, and it helps to reinforce what I was thinking when I started the post.

its still a no though.

as also said , say i said x lights which are ip 68 rated £100 each, you get say 10. photographer turns up, "ere mate get your stuff out of the way please".

I understand why you are trying to help, but there are some instances where you have to say "thats a quart, i only have a pint pot"

its still a no though.

as also said , say i said x lights which are ip 68 rated £100 each, you get say 10. photographer turns up, "ere mate get your stuff out of the way please".

I understand why you are trying to help, but there are some instances where you have to say "thats a quart, i only have a pint pot"
yep, you make it very clear as usual... especially with the pint ;) but still no reason not to ask.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back