Swimming pool light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone ever fitted a submersable light in a swimming pool? If yes can you please advise on any potential problems and possibly a method to fit. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
im not sure about this country, but when i was in lanzarote once, i watched some men changing a bulb in one of these. The light fitting actually lifts out of its cavity in the pool and is on a flex, for changing the bulb at the poolside. I guess it beats wearing snorkeling gear just to change a bulb!

Sponsored Links
i presume the manufacturers will supply instructions. I would think initial installation will require having the pool drained even if bulb replacement doesn't.

Light is a sealed unit. Previous poster is correct in saying whole thing is on a flex to enable bulb changing. Main thing is to make sure you have a water tight seal around the lights housing (sunk into the pool wall) or you will lose pool contents into surrounding earth. :oops:

ferdinanddebargos said:
Light is a sealed unit. Previous poster is correct in saying whole thing is on a flex to enable bulb changing. Main thing is to make sure you have a water tight seal around the lights housing (sunk into the pool wall) or you will lose pool contents into surrounding earth. :oops:

The way you describe that, sounds like if you were to take the fitting out for changing a bulb, the pool would empty itself through the remaining hole.

Surely, the cavity the lamp sits in is sealed, rather than the lamp sealing against the pool side???

it would seem the light should sit in a "pot" which itself is sealed from water escape.

the lamp itself is sealed in the fitting, and yes once opened the "pot" does fill with water but it will not leak

here, see this

The Light MUST be rated at more than 25Vac, in all likelyhood it will be 12V.

Mains Voltage should be kept as far away as possible from any Pool. I have some regulations somewhere on this, I'll have a dig about and see where they are. If I can find them I'll scan them in and post.

FWL_Engineer said:
The Light MUST be rated at more than 25Vac, in all likelyhood it will be 12V.
i presume you meant to say no more than

Section 602 IEE regs;
The basin of the swimming pool is classed as zone A. 2m around and 2.5m above (including above the pool) is zone B, 1.5m around the perimeter of zone B and 2.5m high is zone C.
In zones A & B, only SELV can be used at a voltage not exceeding 12vAC or 30vDC, the safety source being installed outside zones A B C, except for floodlighting where each floodlight shall be supplied from its own transformer or individual winding of a multi-secondary transformer having an open circuit voltage not exceeding 18v. Only wiring necessary for equipment in zones A&B to be located within these zones. Accessible metal junction boxes not allowed in zones A&B. In zone A all equipment to IPX8.

iirc there is also a small pools exception that allows CEE sockets in zone B if there is no other option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back