Lights wired to socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In 1930s extended bungalow. Just found out that the lights in the two attic bedrooms are wired to a 2-gang socket in one of the rooms. Is this usual, safe and legal?

Sponsored Links
Look for a fused connection unit ,follow the cable from the donor socket.

Sponsored Links
All I can show you is the light switch wiring and the socket wiring. I might have to remove the surface box to see what's behind it. I was trying to replace the surface box with a buried one.
20231018_185238.jpg
20231018_185504.jpg

The light switch requires re-terminating as you can see bare copper on one of the terminations. If you do decide to install a sunken back box you may find you'll need to fit it at least a couple of inches above the surface mounted box as where it is you may find it difficult to plug equipment in as the leads may snag on the skirting.

The wiring inside the light looks 2.5mm T&E but I maybe wrong which is oversized for lighting but an FCU would make it easier for maintenance.

The light switch requires re-terminating as you can see bare copper on one of the terminations. If you do decide to install a sunken back box you may find you'll need to fit it at least a couple of inches above the surface mounted box as where it is you may find it difficult to plug equipment in as the leads may snag on the skirting.

The wiring inside the light looks 2.5mm T&E but I maybe wrong which is oversized for lighting but an FCU would make it easier for maintenance.
I think I see 2 different sized cables in the socket and assumed 2.5 & 1.5mm²

do you know what size fuse or MCB protects that socket? It wouldn't be the first time we find a socket on a lighting circuit.

Thanks for the advice about the socket position. It's old lathe and plaster walls, so using a sucken back box might be a challenge. I've re-terminated the light switch.

I think the light wiring is 2.5mm T&E. Same as the socket. Are you saying this will be OK though if I replace the standard light switch with a fused one like this?

do you know what size fuse or MCB protects that socket? It wouldn't be the first time we find a socket on a lighting circuit.
Is the socket on the lighting circuit or the light on the socket circuit?

I'm not sure about the MCB, as the labelling on the box isn't overly helpful. I'll have to try each breaker one-by-one tomorrow in daylight.

The house has a more recent extension, with it's own consumer unit. I think the 50A breaker is for that.

20231018_194816.jpg

Is the socket on the lighting circuit or the light on the socket circuit?

I'm not sure about the MCB, as the labelling on the box isn't overly helpful. I'll have to try each breaker one-by-one tomorrow in daylight.

The house has a more recent extension, with it's own consumer unit. I think the 50A breaker is for that.

View attachment 317542

Thanks for the advice about the socket position. It's old lathe and plaster walls, so using a sucken back box might be a challenge. I've re-terminated the light switch.

I think the light wiring is 2.5mm T&E. Same as the socket. Are you saying this will be OK though if I replace the standard light switch with a fused one like this?

That is a very popular solution and I have that twice in my kitchen for under cupboard lights.

I'm familiar with ring main wiring and spurs via junction boxes for additional sockets, but I don't understand the wiring to this socket and the light switch. I've not even looked at the light switch wiring in the adjacent bedroom.

Last edited:
Which circuit breaker protects the circuit that the socket is part of ,and what is its amperage rating ( B16 = 16 amp, B32 = 32amp ,for instance) ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back