'Lining Out' a Fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently decorating my living room, and it had an old electric fire in, with surround, which looked crap, so I've thrown them away, and I am left with a hole where an old fire use to be, and an open chimney.

I don't want to put another fire back in as it will never get used. So thought I'd make the hole decorative. The missus likes candles, so thats an obvious choice ;)

To make it look neat, and think I'd need to board over the bricks within the hole.

Would MDF be ok? Or is nothing OK as the missus would probably want the candles lit :LOL: Or board it out, then tile it perhaps?

Any input would be great :)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Probably easiest to use some plasterboard and stick it with plasterboard adhesive. If you set one of the board edges flush with teh surrounding plaster it will give you an edge to makegood to. You can paint straight onto the plasterboard so no need to skim it.

Don't forget a vent hole to keep the chinmey dry

Jason

Have a look in the Building & Plastering forums, a few alternatives for you to consider in there but if you do decide to fit a stove, be aware that it's controlled building work & there are other considerations you need to be aware & take account of.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that guys, I will check out the other parts of the forum too.

I unfortunately cannot put a stove or any 'open fire' in there, as it is a leasehold flat, and in the agreement it says we are not allowed things like that :(

This is the current state, and you can see the hole. Quite small, but hopefully would make a decent feature?! (the plaster is just drying, which is why it looks like it does).

3aa3d1c0.jpg

I didn't think of plasterboard. Will the adhesive stick ok to the brickwork behind?

Thanks a lot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back