lining paper

Sponsored Links
When wallpapering a stairwell it is always best to start with the longest length which is generally in the middle of the stairs. The reason for doing this is so that you can get any pattern worked out so that you have relatively equal pattern runs (not always exactly the same - depending on ceiling heights) at both ground floor and landing ceiling levels. If the stairwell ceiling is sloping, you would need to do some measuring to get the pattern level even at upper and lower level ceiling height.

When using lining paper as a finish paper, which I presume is what you are doing, then I would still tend to start in the same place but obviously, as there is no pattern to match, this is not so important. I just find that if you hang the longest length first, the rest of the sheets get shorter and therefore easier. It is always preferable to hang lining paper vertically when it is used as a finish paper.
You might find that starting in one internal corner and taking your paper a few mm around it will work out easier for you and it is fine to do it that way. When you have worked your way around and get back to the starting point, you can cut your final sheet overlap those few mm to give a neat finish in the corner (most internal corners need to be overlapped in this manner, especially in older properties).

I dont care to ever overlap lining paper myself I always feel it to be a mistake, if you were to overlap the seams the all to prominent ridge will be highlighted with the application of paint. The same problem could arise with regard to an internal angle, whilst paint can flood into and mask a small gap it can't hide a ridge.

Dec

Sponsored Links
how do you wallpaper stairs/landing wv lining paper,i mean where do you start??? :confused:

i am no expert on this, but i would start at the highest point and butt up to the corner over the stairs (hope this makes sense) then you have a point to work away from both upstairs and down stairs. as for overlapping the corners, i dont advise it. i cut my lining paper up to the corner rather than go around it. i then prime the corner when finished with acrylic primer, run decorators caulk down it to get a smooth finish. this may take a bit longer, but its worth it. over 2 years now since i finished room and the corners are still great, no cracks. i also primed all joins the same and used a fine surface filler where the paper didnt meet too well. again long winded but my walls dont look papered, dont forget to prime filler before painting. also with this method you can meet the paper up over doors as you go round and fill in anygaps where they dont meet properly. hope you find this helpful

how do you wallpaper stairs/landing wv lining paper,i mean where do you start??? :confused:

You should always start at the highest point eg, the longest drop first. You will also need to establish a working vertical (plumbline) to start from if you don't do this all manor of things will go wrong.

Dec

I think you may be mistaking a few mm for ¼". I have lined hundreds of rooms in this manner and it has never left a noticeable ridge. I suppose it all comes down to the individual skill of the decorator. ;)

I did forget to mention the bead of caulk in the corner though.

What it comes down to is you should not overlap lining paper, and as far as I am concerned a few mm can mean anything, it is equally important to work off a plumbline to.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back