Lintel on top of 1000mm of concrete around pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've posed this question to my Structural Engineer, just awaiting feedback. In the meantime, I would be curious to hear opinions....

FoundationPipe.png

The pipe is at the very BOTTOM of the foundations. So essentially, the concrete fill goes around each side of it and cures, creating a bridge. Logic dictates to me that this is essentially one huge concrete lintel around the pipe.

PipeBridging.png

However, the building inspector is saying that you’re supposed to put a lintel on top of my foundations before the brickwork goes on top of it, to stop any load on the pipe. Again, that doesn’t sit well logically to me, as the concrete is already a huge load around it, so can’t see what’s the gain.

Does sitting a lintel on top of 1000mm deep concrete makes any sense at all. I’ve also taken a few photos of the shuttered pipes at the bottom of the trench.

He also wants to know if I should put a compressible heaving material inside. I’m doing a block and beam floor, raised off the ground by a fair amount, so don’t see what a heaving material is going to gain. any slight heave, the ground will just go up into my under floor space that I’ve left. It all sounds extremely over engineered to me, considering I have a huge 3 story building that’s been there for 125 years, with foundations of lower spec that what is required for my single story extension.

IMG_9365.png

IMG_9366.png

Sponsored Links
There is no requirement to lintel over a sewer in a trench fill foundation, but the regulations are slightly vague and different people interpret in different ways. What is certain is that the regs require separation between the pipe and the structure and also specify compressible fill to allow for minor movement. Most new build warranty technical documents refer to pipes being 'sleeved' in trench fill concrete and pipe suppliers also sell sleeves for that purpose. A slight fly in the ointment is that several sewer companies issue a standard specification drawing which does show a lintel in the trench fill - although that lintel isn't actually doing anything. It it were me I would tell the inspector to do a Flying Gambini, but then I'd back my assertion up with a calculation if it came to a scrap. You could do the same but he/she might say; prove it?

Requirements for heave protection depends on ground conditions and trees/shrubs etc. It isn't unusual to add it for foundations deeper than about 1.5m

@jeds So my engineer got back to me with the logic I needed to see. I wasn't wrong.

Mine is the middle version, and NO lintel is required.

As for heave protection, he confirmed what you just said about the 1.5m. So I've ordered some and will put it in.

image001.png

You suggested gravel which is maybe why the inspector did not understand, but something compressible should be the solution

Sponsored Links
My BCO has just made me do exactly that. Groundwater drainage across the foundations, which I lintelled over in the trench, then some reinforcing mesh, pour concrete and then lintel again across the top of the foundations.

Absolutely bonkers, but I’m self-building and so I’m saving my battles for another day!

I've posed this question to my Structural Engineer, just awaiting feedback. In the meantime, I would be curious to hear opinions....

View attachment 304078

The pipe is at the very BOTTOM of the foundations. So essentially, the concrete fill goes around each side of it and cures, creating a bridge. Logic dictates to me that this is essentially one huge concrete lintel around the pipe.

View attachment 304077

However, the building inspector is saying that you’re supposed to put a lintel on top of my foundations before the brickwork goes on top of it, to stop any load on the pipe. Again, that doesn’t sit well logically to me, as the concrete is already a huge load around it, so can’t see what’s the gain.

Does sitting a lintel on top of 1000mm deep concrete makes any sense at all. I’ve also taken a few photos of the shuttered pipes at the bottom of the trench.

He also wants to know if I should put a compressible heaving material inside. I’m doing a block and beam floor, raised off the ground by a fair amount, so don’t see what a heaving material is going to gain. any slight heave, the ground will just go up into my under floor space that I’ve left. It all sounds extremely over engineered to me, considering I have a huge 3 story building that’s been there for 125 years, with foundations of lower spec that what is required for my single story extension.

View attachment 304079

View attachment 304080
That ground looks terrible to me. It appears as though it's fertile earth and not virgin building ground...?

Nah. It’s just that angle. There is just one section where the ground is bad high up as it’s made up ground.

The rest is pure sandy clay and it’s beautiful. It holds together and cuts cleanly. The mini digger said it was nice. Doesn’t fall to bits and. Or full of rocks.

My BCO has just made me do exactly that. Groundwater drainage across the foundations, which I lintelled over in the trench, then some reinforcing mesh, pour concrete and then lintel again across the top of the foundations.

Absolutely bonkers, but I’m self-building and so I’m saving my battles for another day!
Likewise. I’m self building. But I just wasn’t accepting the nonsense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back