Lintel required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone currently getting a multifuel stove fitted and i have i have a chimney fitted on outside of the wall you can see , they knocked the wall through at the bottom for the flue just wondering if would require lintel ?

I never seen if there was one there and not sure why the chimney was there as never been used in the 10 years we have been there, so not sure if was old gas fire etc.

The chimney is only thin so big enough for flue but couldnt fit fire in it So not sure what was originally there, i have attatched picture of outside, just wondering if should have lintel on inside or not structural ? Obviously jobs been done now and they would have know what to look for just curious or would it not matter for that size hole.

Thanks dean

Attachments

• IMG-20221213-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20221213-WA0004.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220523_101847.jpg
    20220523_101847.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
Yes a lintel is required.

On the brick work or the breeze blocks ? They may have been a lintel on the bricks i never seen but none was fitted on breeze blocks, its all sealed in now so cant see, not sure if the chimney hole was just filled in, in the past for some reason so maybe there is a litel on the bricks , i imagine the fitters would have checked, i hope so anyway.

Thanks dean

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your stove will be set in the room rather than set back within the chimney void. If so why didnt they core an oversize hole for the flue liner and try and be smart about it, rathat than such a big opening, replastering etc etc now lintel

Hi mate yes i will attach nore pictures but yes its in room as the chimney hole only large enough for liner really. It looks great but concerned about no lintel just need to know if one is needed by law really, the hole looked a mess i agree but will never be seen bit still would have preffered it looking better.
IMG-20221213-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20221213-WA0019.jpg

I think you will be OK without a lintel - you have block wall internally and they bridge the gap that narrow opening within a course or so, so not a lot of dead weight there, and the brick leaf opening looks like only a few bricks wide also

Really appreciate people talking there time to help people like myself on here who are unsure etc, thanks for that , i am still annoyed at the wall behind as would have preferred straight line cut and the liner being so close but ot was the no lintel what got me thinking, so you think should be fine and shoulnt need one ? Yeah not very wide oppening like you say just thought would make sure on here and ask some advice. Just waiting on Hetas certificate etc.

Thanks dean

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back