1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Listening to radio with engine off

Discussion in 'General Cars' started by Munroist, 30 Jul 2020.

1. bennymultifinish

bennymultifinish

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    my jaguar does it. not ideal , they reckon it’s because there’s so many electronic systems.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Munroist

Munroist

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    wouldn't you think it would be possible to put the radio onto a differant circuit from all the other electronic systems.

Done another test drive the day - Tiguan - 33.8mpg on our 20 + mile test drive FFS pathetic, our Yeti would have touched 50 on that route., my van 60+
    I'm coming to the conclusion cars are just getting worse and worse, full of totally unwanted unnecessary electronic crap.

It even had electric motors to alter the position of the seat - are folk so fat and lazy now they don't have the enrgy to move the fecking seat.

4. EddieM

EddieM

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A Ford GT has over 2,000 sensors in it o_O

5. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That happened with me when I had a test ride in our Evoque. The salesman started it up and went to do some paperwork while I looked all around it. When he came back we went for a good test drive and the warning came up on the dash. He said he’d left the fob on his desk and to ignore the warning lamp and we'd be ok as long as I didn’t switch it off.

6. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That was so that you couldn't nick it and park it up.

Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. EddieM

EddieM

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My car is 15 years old. I hired a car a while back a new VW Toureg. Was completely confused by all the gadgetry, could even work out how to turn the damn thing off.!

8. Munroist

Munroist

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    how many mpg do you get in that, we took one out, 31.6mpg unbelievably bad. a very claustrophobic car that felt like sitting in a space capsule with its abundance of over complex screens. was delighted when the wife thought it was awful too.

9. Sponsored Links
  10. EddieM

EddieM

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    31.6 lol I dream of such economy.

11. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I get about 33 when the wife is driving and 25 when I drive it lol. All 4x4’s are thirsty beasts. Best mileage was when we came home from the Peak District at a max speed of 50mph because we had the temporary spare fitted. 46mpg!

12. bennymultifinish

bennymultifinish

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    it is on a different circuit. but still uses the same battery . once the battery goes below 12.1 or 2 volts cant remember the other electronic systems used to start and run the car suffer. i think the jaguar seats has 3 motors under each :LOL:

13. ReganAndCarter

ReganAndCarter

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Mate hired a new Eurobox (dunno what it was, something metal with wheel in each corner and totally forgettable???). Anyway, parked it outside pub and wouldn't start when he wanted to take us home. We were scratching our heads for half hour until another customer told us to try pressing the brake to allow it to start. Who'd have thunk it? It was a manual too, not an auto.

My two vehicles (04 Scudo and 85 Carlton) are mercifully bereft of nannying 'safety' features and annoying gongs that keep going off. Modern cars are "Seatbelt on" "close door" "lights on" "extinguish all cigarettes" "have you had a drink?" "doors to manual" "BONG, BONG, BONG" - shut the feck up!!!!! Then the dopey thing automatically locks you in when you pull away. At the traffic lights it decides to cut out. (That's not a new feature. My old Dolomite was well ahead of the game - used to cut out every time came to a stop. Damn those SUs! ) Way too much technology with modern stuff. Keep it simple!

Last edited: 8 Aug 2020
  14. Brigadier

Brigadier

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes. ;)

Seriously though, it's probably another way of emptying the pocket.
    The gubbins probably costs a few quid at most to install, adds a grand to the list price ("signature line", or some such marketing crap) , and costs a few hundred to fix / replace if / when it fails.

Win win for the everyone, bar the consumer.

15. norseman

norseman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Me too, but I hate modern cars even more, so I put up with the fuel costs as retirement equals low annual mileages.
    Car #1 (4x4) 33 yrs. old average 17-18mpg
    Car #2 22 yrs. old average 25 mpg

Both achieve a marginal improvement on a long run.

Folks who winge when their cars drop a couple of mpg below their already exceptionally economical motors average make me laugh :giggle:

Last edited: 31 Aug 2020