Listening to radio with engine off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been looking at some new cars and the two we have looked at Volvo and Land Rover both power the radio down if you are stopped for 5 minutes or so, apparently it is to protect the battery! Both salesmen tell me this is normal on all modern cars - is that correct?

I do have an old berlingo van and that did the same thing that was easy fixed as I just rewired the back of the radio, but there is no way I can do that in one of these modern electronic pieces of junk.

Sponsored Links
I had a Jag that did that, I hated it. It's a pita when you are washing or hoovering the car and the radio goes off every couple of minutes.
The Mondeo I got after the Jag was newer and didn't have that feature.
It would put me off buying the car if it had that feature.

Normally if you press the radio button with the keys out of the ignition, the radio should stay on for 30-60 mins.

Give it a try when you see the next car you like.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Is there not a setting in the menu for different ways of working?
the salesmen don't seem to think so, it's just how they are designed now to save the battery

Normally if you press the radio button with the keys out of the ignition, the radio should stay on for 30-60 mins.

Give it a try when you see the next car you like.

Andy
well there's another thing, keys in ignition are a thing of the past, it's all keyless crap now - wish it wasn't.

I really do despair at how horrible modern cars are becoming.

I hate the keyless crap too. I was always searching for the bl00dy thing.
With the old fashioned way, the key was either in the ignition or in my pocket.

I hate the keyless crap too. I was always searching for the bl00dy thing.
With the old fashioned way, the key was either in the ignition or in my pocket.
I have keyless on my car. The fob is either in my pocket or...in my pocket. Same with my wife, the fob doesn’t leave her handbag.

what would happen if say you dropped your wife off somewhere and she had both fobs in her handbag, could you still drive off ?
I was told this happened to someone and they were able to drive 30 miles away, then after stopping at some shops they were unable to start the car or even lock it. Could that really happen? I guess all the systems work slightly differently.

what would happen if say you dropped your wife off somewhere and she had both fobs in her handbag, could you still drive off ?
I was told this happened to someone and they were able to drive 30 miles away, then after stopping at some shops they were unable to start the car or even lock it. Could that really happen? I guess all the systems work slightly differently.
That's correct....there are plenty of warnings etc but the engine keeps going until you stop it - and of course it won't start again.
Expect most radios to give you 15 min or whatever of listening time before silence - some then will come on again with the radio switch, others only with the ignition on for a second or two.
John :)

Have been looking at some new cars and the two we have looked at Volvo and Land Rover both power the radio down if you are stopped for 5 minutes or so, apparently it is to protect the battery! Both salesmen tell me this is normal on all modern cars - is that correct?

I do have an old berlingo van and that did the same thing that was easy fixed as I just rewired the back of the radio, but there is no way I can do that in one of these modern electronic pieces of junk.
On the Range Rover, you just turn the radio back on again after the 5 minute automatic turn off and it stays on indefinitely

Older software.
Now as soon as the fob is out of the car a warning light and annoying beep start going off.
I even tried putting the fob out of the window and the light and beep goes off.
So, unless you're blind and deaf, you wouldn't leave without the fob, unless you're abandoning your wife in the woods...

Sponsored Links
Back