Little Advice for Permitted Development.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Long time no post, so I have got planning permission to convert a bothie into a 2 bedroom detached house. That is all good, and I am about to start work on this. Once this is done and signed off, I am looking at adding an single story extension under permitted development. (Long story of why we are doing it like this)

Anyway, looking at the Scottish website it says no more than 4m out and 1m from edge of property line, and not on principle elevation. That is all doable for me no issues.

What I cant find is, does the extension have to be stepped in from the original building?

I was looking at using the full length of the cottage, and build out 4m making it a 4x8 extension. I have no neighbours, and is is not overlocked at all.

Sponsored Links
Just ask your local planning officer (i.e. the one who would be signing the work off). I've asked mine no end of questions and he's been more than happy to help.

In England and Wales the rules allow you to project 3m from the rear of the property and at the full width of the house, which is what I have done.

Is planning application conditioned, or PD rights removed, would be the first check.

Are there no PD example guides for Scotland?

Sponsored Links
Gosh, they do things a bit different in Derbyshire. Down here, you'd just get a stock answer inviting you to fork out £500 for some pretty pre-application advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back