Live/Dead gas test. National Grid.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a very confusing conversation with National grid. It's turned into a bit of a long post but stay with it, it makes interesting reading!

They attended site to perform a Live/Dead test. The gas to the property has been switched off at the request of the previous owner over 12 months ago.

No problem I thought :rolleyes:

They come along switch the gas on from where ever they switched it off. Test to make sure there are no leaks and away we go.

BUT NO- The engineer turned up, comes into the property and removes the cap on the pipe.

Engineer: He's says 'Sorry mate it's dead and starts packing up his tools'
Me: I say yeah thats because it must have been switched off at the mains when the previous owner requested removal of the meter.
Engineer: That is probably true but your pipe is classed as dead because you haven't had a service for 12months.
Me: So You're saying when a pipe is not used it 'dies' but when it's in use the gas keeps the pipe 'alive' (Note at this stage I'm getting Pi$$ed off)

So basically they want to charge me upwards of £600 for turning their valve back on. alternatively they will install another pipe, which I may not need for even more money :evil:

Are they pulling a fast one? I feel like this is an abuse of their monopoly.

Sponsored Links
I have already replied to you on another forum!

Do you want me to repeat it here?

It could be that the gas main has been renewed since the supply was turned off, if that's the case then the connection at the main would not be renewed.

Sponsored Links
As you have had an engineer out to check supply you cannot have such a thing as a house entry tee which incorporates a valve and is above ground so, Basically its not a case of turning a valve on its a case of digging the road/path back up and either rejoining the existing plastic pipe or if it is steel it will be a case of renewing it with plastic.

I have already told him that on another forum.

Unfortunately others who evidently dont know the real likely situation have told him that will be a service valve in the street.

As usual its almost developed into an argument between those who say there is always a service valve and those who know that there usually is not.

Tony

I've been to site today and taken a few pixs of the gas point outside the property. The final photo is inside the hole.

I would not wish to guess what that rusty looking thing is !

If it is a gas valve then it should not be touched as its Transco's property and responsibility.

As I am CORGI registered I would turn it on and do a tightness test for you on the supply pipe into the property and issue you with a certificate which you could use for your argument that the supply is existing and not leaking.

I could hardly say that the valve is in good condition though!

Tony

Agile said:

If it is a gas valve then it should not be touched as its Transco's property and responsibility.

As I am CORGI registered I would turn it on and do a tightness test for you on the supply pipe into the property and issue you with a certificate which you could use for your argument that the supply is existing and not leaking.

Tony

I'm almost 100% sure it's connected to the gas pipe that enters the property. It is possible to see a pipe heading over to the wall you can see in the photo. Directly the other side of the wall is the gas pipe thats has been capped off. Additionally has G on the cover suggests GAS (Just call me Sherlock) ;)

The question has to be. what could is it be if it's not a valve? It must be there for a reason.

You say that it should not be touched because it's Transco's property. But you also say someone Corgi registered can touch it. Is this a special agreement Corgi has with Transco or a saftey issue?

P.S. I have no intention of trying to turn it on myself.

Agile said:

Tony

Tony as you obviously haven't a clue what tapping a main to run a service to the property involves it's best not to comment and leave it to those that do.

As a Corgy Registered Gas Installer you should know, you are not allowed to touch the company supply prior to the meter.

Turning the valve on will tell the gas supplier if the mains is live, there is no way of doing a soundness test, unless you excavate the tapping valve possibly in the road or crush the pipe (pe).

But in any case you cannot doit Corgy or not.

Tony, You may well be right that if a supply has been disconnected for over 12 months they will make me pay the £600 to have a new supply installed.

It defies logic why Transco can get away with it and install a new pipe when a existing untested pipe may be perfectly usable. OK .... if those are the rules and they can get away with it, I sure they will. The trouble is you then offer the following advice:-

So you say, you or a corgi can come to site (at additional expense to myself) to issue a certificate to say the pipe doesnt leak. The trouble is based on your previous response Transco will charge me anyway for a new supply regardless. I'll end up paying them and paying you/corgi.

You've also said
I have already told him that on another forum.

Unfortunately others who evidently dont know the real likely situation have told him that will be a service valve in the street.

So its unlikely I have a valve. But now you're saying

Now acknowledging that it is likely to be a valve.

As regards the condition, a metal valve living in a hole outside is unlikely to look fantastic. It may turn out to be seized and unusable but neither you, or I am in a position to say either way. I think it's better to leaving 'it doesnt look very pretty' to the dodgy tradesman out there and we'll just deal with the facts.

You seem to be wanting to make assumptions which are not based on facts.

I have told you that if its a gas valve its Transco property and no one should tamper with someone elses property.

I only said that if I was there I would turn it on and test the pipe. I have no right to do that and as its not my property I should not touch it. I never said that a CORGI registered person can turn it on. In reality anyone can turn it on but if not CORGI that might be dangerous if they dont understand the safety procedures.

It looks in poor condition and I would say that Transco would be justified in saying that and choosing to replace it ( at your cost ).

It slightly surprises me that their engineer decided not to turn it on but some of them are not known for their helpfulness!

You have decided to ignore my question as to whether the vendor said that gas was connected to the property. I would say that may be a more promising line of enquiry.

Tony

monsoon,

You are not listening, the only body that can legally touch that pipe or the valve is the supplier and their agents. Transco/National Grid etc.

As such they are God.

Your only chance is to appeal against their better nature.

Tony, I think u'd do yourself a favour by deleting your previous post. Rarely do people expose their identity on the net and even rarer do they do it and also say they will break the law.

I'm no CORGI expert but I think they would not look very favourable on your previous post.

I know you're only being helpful but in your own interests I'd get it deleted.

doitall said:
monsoon,

You are not listening, the only body that can legally touch that pipe or the valve is the supplier and their agents. Transco/National Grid etc.

As such they are God.

Your only chance is to appeal against their better nature.

I am listening and I'll repeat what I said previously.

I have no intention of trying to turn it on myself
or anyone other than Transco.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back