Live/Dead gas test. National Grid.

Thats all very well posting such a large chunk of the GSUR 1998 but I think that some who are not unemployed lawers would find it helpful if you could give the paragraph and clause which supports that assertion.

Tony

Sponsored Links
(3) Where a primary meter is removed, the person who last supplied gas through the meter before removal shall -

(a) where the meter is not forthwith re-installed or replaced by another meter -

(i) close any service valve which controlled the supply of gas to that meter and did not control the supply of gas to any other primary meter; and

(ii) seal the outlet of the emergency control with an appropriate fitting; and

(iii) clearly mark any live gas pipe in the premises in which the meter was installed to the effect that the pipe contains gas; and

(b) where the meter has not been re-installed or replaced by another meter before the expiry of the period of 12 months beginning with the date of removal of the meter and there is no such service valve as is mentioned in sub-paragraph (a)(i) above, ensure that the service pipe or service pipework for those premises is disconnected as near as is reasonably practicable to the main or storage vessel and that any part of the pipe or pipework which is not removed is sealed at both ends with the appropriate fitting.

(4) Where a person proposes to remove a primary meter he shall give sufficient notice of it to the person supplying gas through the meter to enable him to comply with paragraph (3).

What that says is the gas pipe should have been disconnected or they have broken the law. So you are able to do your own test by removing the cap, and turning the valve on.

interesting if you find gas at pressure. :rolleyes:

Cheers for extracting that section of text.

If that is indeed the regulations NG are referring to, I see no mention of having to renew pipework if the supply is to be re-established.

Surely all that needs to happen is the valve is switch on (if one exists) or the ends are 'unsealed'?

Just to reiterate - following the second visit by NG they told me the connection outside the property is a syphon and *not* a valve.

gascover16sh.jpg

gascover24uo.jpg

gastap1my.jpg

Monsoon said:
Cheers for extracting that section of text.

If that is indeed the regulations NG are referring to, I see no mention of having to renew pipework if the supply is to be re-established.

Surely all that needs to happen is the valve is switch on (if one exists) or the ends are 'unsealed'?

Just to reiterate - following the second visit by NG they told me the connection outside the property is a syphon and *not* a valve.

If they have done their job according to the regulations after 12months they should have disconnected the supply pipe as near as practical to the mains in the road/path, therefore the pipe on your property will be dead and the end capped.

A new service pipe would then be needed, whether they have done that remains to be seen, but according to the regs it looks like you will have to pay they're costs.

Sponsored Links
doitall said:
If they have done their job according to the regulations after 12months they should have disconnected the supply pipe as near as practical to the mains in the road/path, therefore the pipe on your property will be dead and the end capped.

A new service pipe would then be needed, whether they have done that remains to be seen, but according to the regs it looks like you will have to pay they're costs.

But lets say they have followed the regs and disconnected the supply pipe in the road.

What do they do to the supply pipe that would make the whole pipe unusable? I would have thought they could just reconnect it to the mains.

Both ends of the old pipe should be sealed.

Can you see signs of the road being dug up to disconnect the pipe from the mains, it would cost loads of money and require an order from the highways dept to do that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back