Liverpool Humour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I know we've got some Liverpudlians on here - do any of you know anything about the 'Who's Headline Is it Anyway' show at 'Envi' in Liverpool on a Friday night. Tickets are much cheaper than other comedy clubs and i'm a little unsure if that's just because they're better value, or because the comedians are not going to be up to much??

Anyone been themselves or heard any reviews? Or alternatively, have any reviews of other comedy clubs in Liverpool city centre??

Sponsored Links
i would imagine that it will be very good, scousers are generally funny so if the comedians are rubbish they'll soon get boo'd off, and liverpool are good at giving competative prices for everything, bus fares, swimming baths, arts and performances etc, the only thing to watch out for is, don't give your address when you book, or they'll rob your house while you're watching the show :LOL:

I do stand-up, I've never played Liverpool, but my comedian friends who have say that audiences in Liverpool tend to be ruthless and can turn on a comedian after one mis-fire. Again, I'm yet to play Liverpool so I have no Idea.

I wouldn't judge the night based on the price. It probably just means it doesn't have a professional headline act. It doesn't mean the comedians 'aren't up to much'. Which in my opinion is an unfair statement anyway as many Amateur comedians play gigs far more often than professionals and in some cases (and also in my personal opinion) are a lot better than most of the comedians working professionally in this country.

Comedy is a lot like music. You have Chart Music that is on TV in the form of programs like Top of the Pops and mainstream comedy in the form of Roadshow, Live at the Apollo etc. and then you have non-mainstream music like Jazz, which is amazing but would rarely end up in the charts. The same goes for comedy. To only see that form of something creative would be missing out on so much.

Mainstream British comedians seem to be getting safer and more mediocre by the day. There isn't anyone on British TV (apart from Stewart Lee) that makes me think as well as laugh. What seems to be happening with newer acts is a sort of rejection of the silliness seen in acts like Michael McIntyre, Russel Howard etc. and a bigger influence from American Comedians with comedy that is a lot more honest, sincere and thought-provoking.

I'd go to the night, it's probably bound to be fantastic. It's likely to be very varied and you might even see someone who is going to be the next big thing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, some good points there. The format of the show on there is that four comedians have 10mins each to 'pitch' and then the audience votes for who goes on to headline the show and win the prize money - so we'll only get a lengthy performance from the one that the audience as a whole thinks is up to scratch - so it should be ok. I've been to comedy clubs before and generally found that of the fours acts on, two were really good, the other two were ok (by which I mean, not my kind of thing - other people may well have found them hillarious).

I think we'll give the night the benefit of the doubt and see what happens - we can always give up on it and head to The Cavern instead if it is terrible!!

Anyone heard of the venue - 'Envi' - slightly dubious that the contact number for booking tickets is a mobile not a land line....?

That is because you will call it from your landline, then they do a trace and rob you when your out :D

, the only thing to watch out for is, don't give your address when you book, or they'll rob your house while you're watching the show :LOL:[/quote]

And ordr the taxi to meet you at another street :D

I have been to Envi many times, its a very good club and has some of the best DJ's playing there. Lots of diff themes every night.

Ring them on 0151 709 3498 and ask about the bookings. Thats the number for the Envi club

They have another company called the Comedy Hub that runs the comic side of it. Try them direct first, if not then ring the mobile. You have to take the card you booked on to get your tickets on the night.

Sponsored Links
Back