Living in Iceland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
"Scotland's Violence Reduction Unit (VRU) was set up to stem the tide of knife crime which saw Glasgow become Europe's murder capital.

From its formation in 2005 the VRU proposed a fresh approach to tackling the problem.

Its key message was that gang-related stabbings and slashings were not just a policing issue but a public health issue. The unit's motto was a simple one: "Violence is preventable, not inevitable."

In 2004/05 there were 137 homicides (which include murder and culpable homicide figures) in Scotland - in Glasgow, there were 40 cases alone, double the national rate.

By 2016/17 the number had more than halved to 62.

Last year this had reduced by a further three to 59. A sharp instrument was the main method of killing for 34 (58%) of those cases and all but one of them involved a knife.

This homicide figure was the joint lowest number of recorded homicide cases for a single 12-month period since 1976."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-45572691

"In 2009 the VRU launched the Community Initiative to Reduce Violence (CIRV). It was designed to offer young people an alterative to gang membership, such as youth clubs, as well as the prospect of training and work.

Former offenders were drafted in to share their experiences with the next generation.

In 2011 police said the CIRV had resulted in a 50% reduction in violent offending by those taking part.

Even among gang members who refused to participate, data indicated a 25% fall in the number of offences committed."

Sponsored Links
The widow of that headmaster philip Lawrence was speaking on the radio last week he got stabbed out side his school

The date on which he was murdered was the same date that John lennon was killed

He was a big fan of John lennon

plenty of peaceful places to live, many with day light. I'm afraid the blue/dull hue of winter got to me, along with the culture.
How did you find it? I've read that the lack of sunlight can make people have low mood

I read about this a few years ago, and from what I recall, they did not really need "stop and search" as the focussed on gathering proper intelligence and then reaching out to drug dealers and knife carriers, rather than just going for the stop, search, arrest and repeat, which has been shown time and again to fail to stop crime. I've heard dealers boast about being chucked in a jail for 24 hours (max they can be held for I think) and released, just to get straight back to carrying and dealing.

Proper policing and community action is needed to stop knife crime and reduce drug crime - this is where Glasgow excelled while the rest of the UK continues to fail.

The problem with intelligence gathering Jon is: You need that community to supply you with that information, rather than them looking at the police as the enemy.
How much dud information must the police in London get just so they stop a young black man only to find that he has nothing on him..... Of course he had nothing on him as he was part of the set up.

The problem with intelligence gathering Jon is: You need that community to supply you with that information, rather than them looking at the police as the enemy.

that's a good point.

can you think of anything that police can do to ensure they are viewed as an enemy?

you're rambling again.
No. Just quoting what you said. Hey, Johnnybigmileage, I’ve just thought of a way for you to prove what you said is true. Screenshot the previous mileages on your mot certificate and we'll see what sort of mileage you were covering pre-Covid. Easy!

who told you that?

Why is there not such a division with Indians, Chinese, Italians, eastern Europeans, Portuguese/Brazilians.

Why is it Indians, Chinese, Italians, eastern Europeans, Portuguese/Brazilians; don't give their countrymen sh!t for being decent human beings and joining the Police force.
Why is it the same conflict with the police exists in most other countries that have large Afro/Caribbean populations.

Why is it ok to blame the police all the time????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back