Load fast Ticking from radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

I have not long had a new Baxi Platinum 28 Combi ErP boiler fitted.
All was working well bar a few pressure cut outs recently and also there is a noise coming either the boiler or the pipes / rads.
I done some checking and the noise is a rattling, ticking / pinking noise.
It seems most noisiest nearest the radiator closest to the boiler.
The noise cuts out when I turn on a hot tap in the bathroom. I can then turn the tap off and it starts again.
The noise tends to happen first thing in the morning when the system radiators come on and also it can happen in the evening; even when the Rads have been on for a while, so nothing that stands out!
When the noise is loudest I have powered the boiler off and the noise stops straight away so it can't be pipes heating up.

Sponsored Links
Basically the noise is the pipes moving against the structure. Due to the pipes lengthening through expansion as they warm or cool.
They shouldn't be pressed against anything but they've not been installed properly.
Ask the installer to come and free them up and clip properly if necessary.
Edit: if powering off the boiler stops it straight away that means it is from heating up? As that's where the heat comes from. They won't cool instantly you turn it off, maybe you need to wait 5 mins for them to contract enough. Turning on the hot tap turns the boiler off while it's supplying the hot water demand.

Thanks for this John. Yes that definitely makes sense as there has been new pipework installed from where the old back boiler was in the dining room to where the boiler is now on the first floor.

I will check the pipes and see what I can see.

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back