Local development going to Planning meeting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a small development proposed in our street. I made a representation to planning about one of the units overlooking our immediate rear of house. A few other people have made representations about trees mainly. I thought the development would just be passed without a public meeting.
Im wondering if I should ask to speak and talk a little about the unit we feel is overlooking.
But I'm also wondering why they have gone to a public meeting. The land is owned by the council and is currently a closed care home. The council are proposing 8 dwellings in 4 units.

Sponsored Links
Probably because enough people raised objections about it, or it contravenes one of the council's set reasons for not being a delegated decision. For example:

approvals would be contrary to policy;
  • applications are of a major, controversial or sensitive nature;
  • applications which have aroused significant public interest on valid planning grounds* or
  • an objection from a statutory consultee;
  • applications subject to a Parish Council objection on valid planning grounds*;
  • applications subject to a request by an objector to address the Planning Applications Committee*;
  • applications requested by a Member to go to Committee;
  • applications where the recommendation is contrary to that of a statutory undertaker eg Highways Authority.

cribbed from eden district council's website

I read their agenda for that meeting and my points were raised there. They have a site meeting before the committee meeting, so I guess that's to see for themselves how the development will impact the area and neighbours. Thinking it wouldn't hurt to have my three minutes, since our property is the possibly most impacted.
Personally I think the designers have come up with a good plan that will improve the street, but maybe missed out on couple of points.
For anyone interested, it's Weymouth and Portland council and the address is 25-27 Alexandra Rd, Weymouth.

Sponsored Links
If you genuinely think the designers have produced a scheme which you would broadly welcome, then I think you should be very careful with your criticisms. They can have the effect of forcing the designers to come up with something which is from your point of view worse, but which satisfies the opinion of the committee when next presented.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back