Local elections.

Sponsored Links
I got the Conservative one, my local guy will continue to be photographed picking up crisp packets.

The Labour guy will fight for equality, doesn’t say anything specific.

In the grand scheme of things the majority of what councillors do is unlikely to have real noticeable impact on you anyway.
I would suggest the opposite is true.

Most people's direct experience of their everyday lives is their local environment/locale.

And Councillors make the decisions that affect that environment/locale.
(albeit constrained by central government and party politics).

For example, in their 'wisdom' there is a proposal from our council to go to two weekly bin collections, despite a costly reversal of a previous tip closure policy due to an increase in dumping/fly tipping.
That's in order to apparently save approx £400k.
At the same time the yearly council 'hospitality' budget for meetings is approx £200k.

So given that bins are already overflowing weekly, the whole area is to be blighted for half the council's M&S 'party food' costs!

That affects you every day.

They also give planning permissions (often involving millions of taxpayers' money) which greatly affects your environment/locale, and run/ruin local infrastructure.

I would suggest the opposite is true.

Most people's direct experience of their everyday lives is their local environment/locale.

And Councillors make the decisions that affect that environment/locale.
(albeit constrained by central government and party politics).

For example, in their 'wisdom' there is a proposal from our council to go to two weekly bin collections, despite a costly reversal of a previous tip closure policy due to an increase in dumping/fly tipping.
That's in order to apparently save approx £400k.
At the same time the yearly council 'hospitality' budget for meetings is approx £200k.

So given that bins are already overflowing weekly, the whole area is to be blighted for half the council's M&S 'party food' costs!

That affects you every day.

They also give planning permissions (often involving millions of taxpayers' money) which greatly affects your environment/locale, and run/ruin local infrastructure.

Councils as a body do this. Not councillors.

A councillor will represent you Infront of a council, they don't single handedly make decisions for the council.

At its most basic a councillor is a rubbing rag.

https://www.local.gov.uk/our-suppor...ces/councillors-guide-201718/councillors-role

I'm often in touch with my councillor and MP and as I'm always told about matters which are very important (my latest gripe being speed control after someone died after coming off a motorbike on my road); it's up to the council.

So in reality, no one councillor is going to make a massive impact to your day to day.

Sponsored Links
conservative - the guy knocked on my door and seemed normal and down to earth. He also lived in the town. Our area is normally split between Libs and cons. The libs seem to waste lots of money changing things that are working fine. They seem a bit nanny state. Labour? I guess if I voted for them it would double their vote.

As will many other peoples vote. Local elections have often been seen as a marker for discontent with government.

In the grand scheme of things the majority of what councillors do is unlikely to have real noticeable impact on you anyway.

I would suggest quite the opposite, especially if you engage with your local councillor and bend their ear ocassionally.

Last edited:
Councils as a body do this. Not councillors.
Councillors on the council vote for any particular policy :rolleyes:

Are you suggesting that a 'council' is an arbitrary body, not dependent on it's individual components?

If anything it is party politics that is to blame...

All Councillors should be independent of party allegiances!

I would suggest quite the opposite, especially if you engage with your local councillor and bend their ear occasionally*.

I'm often in touch with my councillor and MP and as I'm always told about matters which are very important (my latest gripe being speed control after someone died after coming off a motorbike on my road); it's up to the council.

So in reality, no one councillor is going to make a massive impact to your day to day.

Are you suggesting that a 'council' is an arbitrary body, not dependent on it's individual components?

I'm suggesting you are voting for a councillor. Not a council. No different to what I've already written.

All Councillors should be independent of party allegiances!

We'll they aren't.

Sorry Lal but I'm not taking your bait for an argument today. Just not interested enough, weather's too nice.

Sorry Lal but I'm not taking your bait for an argument today. Just not interested enough, weather's too nice.
Poor old SammyInnit...

You can always tell when he's been shown up (yet again), as he chucks in a 'LaL' before skulking off :LOL:

Poor old SammyInnit...

You can always tell when he's been shown up (yet again), as he chucks in a 'LaL' before skulking off :LOL:

I'm just not interested in your childish petulant antics Lal. I'm quite happy for you to believe what ever you'd like.

I'm a labour supporter, but will probably vote lib dems in the local election.
We have tories now, bloody nightmare. Saw them for the first time in 4 years canvassing the other day. They didn't mention the failing school, or the library closing, or the increase in crime, or poor condition of pavements, roads, or the swamped doctors surgery ... funny that.

Sponsored Links
Back