Locate Wires Behind Wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can see on one of our walls at the top of the stairs where a socket has been removed and repaired over at some point in the past before we moved in. I want to know if there are any electrical wires still behind it 1. for future reference and 2. If there are, i might turn it back into a socket.

Whats the best way for me to find out if there are any wires still behind it? Not sure on the reliability of stud/wire detectors?

Sponsored Links
Not sure on the reliability of stud/wire detectors?
Somewhere between mostly unreliable and entirely useless.

Even if you found one which actually works, it is still useless as it would just indicate the presence of a live wire - not that it was suitable for a socket or anything else.

I'd never trust a stud/wire detector. Try one and if it shows a live cable there probably is one, if it does not I'd still not drill any holes there. The best way to see if there is a cable is to carefully chip away the plaster from inside the box and see what is there. If there is a cable, or cables, then you can test them. The word carefully is important, if you are not 100% sure of what you are doing then turn off all power before you start and work slowly with hand tools.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back