location of combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a baxi boiler. I want to replace it with a new boiler. The current boiler is located in our airing cupboard but takes up space . I have had someone come to see me with a view to placing the new boiler a) on an outside wall, b) In the bathroom c) above the toilet seat. I’m sure I have seen this in other properties. This is to give us more space in our property. The airing cupboard is next door to the bathroom. We live in a bungalow.

The rep who came out says we can’t have a condensing boiler in the bathroom unless it is fitted in an enclosed fireproof case/ surround.

My wife’s disabled so its Grant based. Is he just trying to cut down on work (easier to replace in current location) or is he spot on

Can someone quote the legislation / regulations please

Any comments / advice would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
depending on exactly where it is and the size of the room it may need to be in an enclosed compartment don't need to be fireproof tho :eek:

The rep who came out says we can’t have a condensing boiler in the bathroom unless it is fitted in an enclosed fireproof case/ surround.

That is plain nonsense. Remember a rep is a rep, they get paid for selling the goodies, they are not RGI's, and frequently will tell you anything it takes to get the order.

...My wife’s disabled so its Grant based. Is he just trying to cut down on work (easier to replace in current location) or is he spot on

It may be grant based to you, it is done by scrupulous, very commercial companies that are known to deliver such poor value for money that they would not have a snowflake's chance in hell of surviving without the taxpayer's handouts.

...Can someone quote the legislation / regulations please

A boiler in a bathroom has must be more than 600 mm away from the bath, and a person in the bath must not be able too touch it.

It might be worth informing yourself in depth about the practices of warmfrong/iguana/aega; there have been thousands (literally) of official, written complaints about their installations.

The installation may be free, but you will have a high risk of lots of faults and breakdowns, with enormous bills and discomfort for your wife, and yourself of course.

The fat cats that managed to get the contract, receive around £3200 pounds for changing a boiler. In stead of delivering a quality installation for that rather substantial amount, they use subcontractors working for next to nothing (1 chap that worked for them mentioned £200 for doing the actual job).
Supplying quality boilers is not something they find necessary either; one example I was given was that they bought up the leftovers from a batch of very poor quality boilers for under £300, and used that for the vulnerable users.

Sponsored Links
No you cant have a boiler in a bathroom unless its in a cupboard (or 3 metres away from the bath/shower)
Nonsense about the 600mm.

Which scheme is doing this?
I doubt they will pay to have it moved to a new location.

No you cant have a boiler in a bathroom unless its in a cupboard (or 3 metres away from the bath/shower)
Nonsense about the 600mm.

Which scheme is doing this?
I doubt they will pay to have it moved to a new location.

3M from the bath? that excludes about 99% of bathrooms then.

Of course you can have a boiler in the bathroom, subject to condition.

Phone the gassafe register and ask them, it's what we pay them for.

worcester manuals can be downloaded off their site and contains information on bathroom installation, zones etc no mention of cupboard and fireboarding

i was under impression boilers can be installed in bathroom it was only OF that couldnt [/img]

Steam and condensation is the main problem to over come, as sparky stuff (pcb) don't like damp atmospheres.

Not quite sure how your own grant works but a couple of years ago I installed a bathroom for a customer who was reclaiming the cost through disability allowances, and they came direct to the company I was working for rather than going through one of these large money-grabbing organisations. It may be that you can go to your preferred installer and still reclaim the money without having to run the Warmfront gauntlet, look into this.

I just looked at a manual and it said 'subject to BS7671 wiring regulations'.
As this boiler was IP20 it must be installed outside zone two, ie 3 metres away.

worcester says summet bout can be installed in zone 2 (600mm) providing it cant be touched from bath/shower and has mechanical timer

well thats how i read it

worcester manuals can be downloaded off their site and contains information on bathroom installation, zones etc no mention of cupboard and fireboarding

i was under impression boilers can be installed in bathroom it was only OF that couldnt

I'd say your impression is correct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back