Loft conversion - do I really need to fit a sprinkler system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folk's, just found this forum when searching for advice on the above and I was very impressed with the quality of the responses provided so any assistance on the above would be gratefully received.

I am considering converting the loft of my one bedroom back to back terrace house in Armley Leeds.

I contacted Building control and they advised that I would either have to install a corridor in the living room or fit a sprinkler system into any future conversion.

A corridor is out of the question as there is just not the space and an automated sprinkler system seems a bit drastic for a bit of extra space, especially considering that this requirement is not retrospective so the large majority of similar properties will not have either of the above measures fitted?

Can anyone advise on the accuracy of the above and whether Building Control approval is absolutely necessary if just converting to provide extra storage space?

Many thanks,Will.

Sponsored Links
Once you fit a stair it will be considered to be a loft conversion and without adequate protection also a death trap. Its two storeys at the moment yes? So a ground and a first floor? If it is two storeys then yes you either need a protected means of escape or a sprinkler system.

if it's just storage space then fit a pull-down ladder.

The reason for the requirements is that the risk of death from fire rises significantly for sleeping accommodation above the first floor.

Im in leeds near you and just doing my loft. The building inspector said I have to fit fire doors to every room in the house 13 doors :evil: or fit a sprinkler system. I guess with your house been a back to back with the stairs coming off the living room I guess a fire door isn't good enough between the steps and room. Building regs are a bit over the top these days if you ask me.

Sponsored Links
I've never seen a house with a sprinkler system in it. I have also lived in a house like the ops with the loft converted and it didn't have a corridor as the living rooms are small anyway.

Many thanks for all your responses, I am going to go ahead with the conversion and I am hoping that I can carry out all of the works in line with Building Control requirements as I value the peace of mind that compliance brings and I would hope that a certificate of conformance for any conversion would add to the sale-ability of the property.

I have also been looking at fire suppression systems on the internet which detail the aftermath of fires fitted with and without fire suppression systems, the videos speak for themselves!

I am advised that I will need to pay circa £2,000 to have a system fitted, I do not have a spare £2,000 lying around so I am going to have to work on that. I do believe however, that the safety of my family is worth more than that so I will have to find it.

I do wonder though, if the days of home DIY are numbered? I accept that safety is paramount and none more so than that of your family but I worry that prohibitively expensive safety measures may have the opposite effect of encouraging householders to flout the law and just not declare that any works have been carried out?

Just thinking out loud, Will.

I do wonder though, if the days of home DIY are numbered? I accept that safety is paramount and none more so than that of your family but I worry that prohibitively expensive safety measures may have the opposite effect of encouraging householders to flout the law and just not declare that any works have been carried out?

Just thinking out loud, Will.
DIY is numbered? Why do you say that? Its not really hard to see why a safe escape route is required is it? Do you think the fire regulations should be dulled down to appease those who cannot afford them then? Darwinism in progress I guess. Personally I look forward to the day that sprinklers in new builds is mandatory and it will come. Nobody has ever died in a house fire in the UK that had sprinklers

if you're DIYing it you should be able to afford a higher standard of build and fitout because you're supplying your own labour and project management.

it surprises me we have the most valuable thing we have ever shelled out for and we need to protect it
yes it seems expensive but if you had a form that said fire brigade attendance £2000 or exclude this option and save 2k to spend on curtains yes its a easy choice as theres no penalty or cost for the option
where in reality the the sprinkler system is to not save your life but your family and your house
a no brainer really unless your house and family are low value items

I think we are at cross purposes here, If you read my post you will see that I agree with the need to put safety first.

The point that I am making is that not everybody can or will implement regulations as specified, citing cost as a factor.

The irony being that ever stringent and correspondingly costly regs may have the opposite effect and encourage individuals to carry out works without informing Building Control.

I do not subscribe to this approach or condone it, I simply eluded to it as a potential approach for home owners who do :rolleyes: .

The reference to the days of home DIY being numbered relates to the need to bring in suitably qualified professionals /operatives to carry out safety related works; again something I advocate.

Finally, I have to say that I am surprised by the tone of some of the responses to my original post, I thought I had made my stance on the subject clear, evidently not.

I will endeavor to simplify any future posts to avoid any further misunderstandings.

Will.

i do hope my comments haven't offended you that wasn't the aim :D

what you need to remember "general" comments that at first seem irrelevant to the thread are often added to help others reading the thread without commenting to understand the reasoning and reduce supplementary questions

i do hope my comments haven't offended you that wasn't the aim :D

what you need to remember "general" comments that at first seem irrelevant to the thread are often added to help others reading the thread without commenting to understand the reasoning and reduce supplementary questions

No offence taken ;) and I do understand what you are saying, just wanted to make sure that my message was clear.

Will.

Yes no offence meant Williamraff, it just seems that sometimes people do not grasp the relevance of the regulations BC insist upon and so think its just BC going overboard especially where fire is concerned.

Yes no offence meant Williamraff, it just seems that sometimes people do not grasp the relevance of the regulations BC insist upon and so think its just BC going overboard especially where fire is concerned.

No worries :) , and I do agree, I was just trying to throw a little Devils Advocate in there.

Will.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back